Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Having a Criminal Record in Japan 2014/11/26 08:04
I have been convicted of property damage crime in Japan, but was never sentenced to jail. I got mug shot and finger prints scanned. Judge only detained me for 20 day to further investigate, and after I was released to pay a fine (within 3 months). I have left Japan immediately after I got released and paid my dues while abroad. Please note that I was not deported. I did leave on my own will.

My questions are:
1. Will I be able to visit and live in Japan again with a criminal record?
2. How about finding a job? Will my employer ask for a criminal record certificate?

Please feel free to share your knowledge on this issue. Thanks.
by moeabdol  

Re: Having a Criminal Record in Japan 2014/11/26 16:33
I think itvis handled on a case by case situation. The embassy in your country should be a reliable source to get an answer from. All i can say is that those airport alien cards ask if you have a criminal conviction, and probably the fingerprint scanners are linked to the database of criminal records.
by Max (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Having a Criminal Record in Japan 2014/11/27 03:47
Thanks for your reply.

I wonder if there are any cases here of people who have similar issues in japan but still live and visit there.
by moeabdol rate this post as useful

Re: Having a Criminal Record in Japan 2014/11/29 08:21
Please everyone I would like to know you opinions on this matter. It is just hard for me to believe the possibility of that I might not be able to ever go to Japan again. I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
by moeabdol (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Having a Criminal Record in Japan 2014/11/29 08:47
We can only speculate and since we're not officials with Japanese Immigration, we cannot be for certain what your situation would be. You need to speak to the Japanese consulate nearest you or the embassy if you live in the capital. It is they who may have more of an idea.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Having a Criminal Record in Japan 2014/11/29 14:49
Well, Paul McCartney got arrested in Japan, spent a short time in jail (where he learned songs from other prisoners), went home, and after some time came to Japan to do concerts, so it's not impossible.

But you can't generalise and there is no easy answer for things like these. You can't just say "please" and wipe out your anxieties. You have to do your homework on your own.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Having a Criminal Record in Japan 2016/6/17 13:10
its a 2 years old thread...
but if people wonder.
I got the same situation and YES, its case by case.
for me it was a fight and I had same thing 20days and such but paid the fine locally and left 1-2 months later.
I could come back to Japan and I just got a visa to work in Japan.
so its definitely not an issue... except if it happen again, then it will be a BIG BIG issue.
as opposed to this case, overstay/drugs are big issues and u might be deported and ban for severals years and even after the ban, finding a work here might be almost impossible...
by thedude (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread