Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Entering Japan without a Visa 2014/11/27 01:56
I will be doing an unpaid 4 month internship with a Japanese organization from January to April. Everything has been organized with my school and my employer in Japan has submitted all the paperwork to the Tokyo immigration bureau so I can have my certificate of eligibility. However, it was submitted kinda late and there might be a chance that I won't be able to get the certificate and then get my visa before leaving. My employer and I have spoken to the immigration bureau and they said that since i'm a Canadian citizen, I'll be able to enter the country without a visa (just get a 90 days stamp) and then change my status in Japan when my certificate is issued. I'm starting to be a little paranoid and wondering what I should say to the customs officer when I get off the plane. On the disembarkation card I will have to put 90 days and write that i'm doing an internship but i'm getting scared that they'll see i have a ticket leaving in 4 months and i'm trying to change my status in Japan... Has someone been a similiar situation and could tell me what to say??
by misszmjway  

Re: Entering Japan without a Visa 2014/11/27 16:32
This seems true. I once entered the country on travel visa, and had to go to Shinagawa to change it to student visa. Looks like your situation.
by Max (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Entering Japan without a Visa 2014/12/4 00:41
Hello,

Why are you worrying? You have the right to stay in Japan for 3 months, so why sweat it? Just enjoy it.

Japanese customs officers do not check your plane tickets; they are just there to see that you donft bring in any illegal or restricted items. They may casually ask if youfre there on business or travelling, so you can tell them youfre doing an internship if you wish, but their main job is to check youfre not importing things that you shouldnft be.

Here is a PDF copy of the front and back of the customs form that they will give you on the plane.

http://www.customs.go.jp/kaisei/youshiki/form_C/C5360-B.pdf

Before you get to the customs desk you will go through immigration and all they will check is that you have correctly filled out the embarkation-disembarkation card for foreigners and have a valid passport. You can see a copy of the card here, front and back.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5219/5501454566_8f6c39178f_b.jpg

They will stamp your passport and put in it a digital sticker and part of the card that you filled out (the left-hand top part). They will take your fingerprints (digitally) and a photo of you.

They also donft check plane tickets. The other Customs Declaration form is for the customs officer who you see just before you leave the airport after youfve collected your suitcase, so donft hand it to the immigration officers, as itfs not their job to deal with it.

No one should ask to see your plane ticket if you have a valid passport, and even if they do, you can still stay in Japan for 3 months, so have plenty of time to sort things out. Donft worry, I think youfll love Japan and have a great time, just learn about some of the cultural norms before you arrive.

On a funny note, donft get too stressed out at immigration as they have a thermal camera there to see peoplefs body temperature, and if youfre all hot and bothered, they might think youfve got Ebola or something. ;-)
by Isogu rate this post as useful

Re: Entering Japan without a Visa 2014/12/4 03:22
Canadians in general have visa exemptions permitting stays of up to 3 months without a visa required based on their nationality status (a general right, allowance, provision or permitted etc.)

This is irrelevant to any individual cases that may be blocked entry. The poster emisszmjwayf doesnft give any reason to see their case as anything meriting immigration problems. Itfs merely a simple case of changing from temporary visitor status if they donft get their visa sorted out in time for their arrival in Japan.

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/short/novisa.html

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/index.html

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/info/index.html
by Isogu rate this post as useful

Re: Entering Japan without a Visa 2014/12/4 09:57
OP is coming for internship, that is acvount to gworkingh whether paid or not.
As such eventhough OP can enter without VISA and stay up to 90 days, this is Temporary Visitor Status where no work whatsoever is allowed.
OP should note/becareful that writing gIntershiph on the disembarkatio card and entering as Temporary Visitor will create problems as the reason is conflicting.Be prepare to make explanation. Best keep it to
gvisitingh .
OP plan to/was told change status, it is still illegal to gworkh untill the change status is approved.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Entering Japan without a Visa 2014/12/4 12:19
My employer and I have spoken to the immigration bureau and they said that since i'm a Canadian citizen, I'll be able to enter the country without a visa (just get a 90 days stamp) and then change my status in Japan when my certificate is issued.

No problem, that is a common procedure.

I'm starting to be a little paranoid and wondering what I should say to the customs officer when I get off the plane. On the disembarkation card I will have to put 90 days and write that i'm doing an internship but i'm getting scared that they'll see i have a ticket leaving in 4 months and i'm trying to change my status in Japan...

No need to worry, its typically a cursory check and they don't look at your return flight. I'd consider just checking the box for business on the disembarkation card and then explaining that you're doing an unpaid internship if asked.

OP is coming for internship, that is acvount to gworkingh whether paid or not.
As such eventhough OP can enter without VISA and stay up to 90 days, this is Temporary Visitor Status where no work whatsoever is allowed.

That's not correct. You can do unpaid work as a temporary visitor.

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Entering Japan without a Visa 2014/12/7 12:18
Thank you for all of your answers. Just to let you know, my certificate of eligibility was issued (only took 1 week!) and I know have my visa for Japan. I'm leaving in 3 weeks! :)
by misszmjway rate this post as useful

reply to this thread