Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving to Japan 2014/11/27 14:19
Hello,

So I had a question. I have a Japanese boyfriend who I met in California he is currently on a working visa. He has to go back to Japan in June. He wants me to go with him and I want to go. But here's the thing I am not ready for marriage, I don't speak Japanese (just a few words), and I don't want to be a teacher. So with this being said how realistic is it to move with him to Japan? He has a house near tokyo so finding a home/apartment won't be an issue...so money. Although at some point maybe working or doing something would be a good idea considering I might get bored with so much free time. Also I'm going to college or anything so I wouldn't qualify for a student visa. I have done some research but I just thought I would ask about my particular situation. I know my question sounds like me being a bum or just dumb but I don't want a long distance relationship and I don't want us to break up. So I'm pretty sad. Any links or detailed information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
by moshimoshi23  

Re: Moving to Japan 2014/11/27 15:42
You want to follow him back to Japan.
You're not ready for marriage.
You don't want to teach.
You're planning to go tocollege (where?)

That basically leave you with one option only. Temporary visitor which grant you 90days stay and you may/maynot extend it for another 90days.

Unless you can find a job(easiest being English teacher) which will give you a one year visa, or get married.

As for language you may surprise yourself and pickup the language fast if you are in Japan.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2014/11/27 15:48
Sorry I should have re-read my post before posting. I am not currently attending college. And don't plan to. I do want to marry my bf but not right now and not for the reasons of just to obtain residency. I know my options are slim but can I be a dependent? Or what type of visa can I obtain if any? After the 90 day stay how can I get a longer stay? Sounds like a break up is likely :(
by moshimoshi23 rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2014/11/27 16:01
There is no such thing as a girlfriend visa.

If you're not getting married, and don't have a college degree, then you basically can't stay in Japan.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2014/11/27 16:04
If you really want to come to Japan but don`t want to get married or study then your only option is to come here on a working holiday visa and find a job when you arrive. Working holiday visas are available to people under 30 and are limited to 6 months. If you want to stay for longer you will need to find a job with a company who are willing to sponsor you for a Working Visa. Unless you`re fluent in Japanese your only employment option is to teach English. To be honest you sound way too fussy and don`t seem at all flexible. You want to move to another country but are unwilling to work or study there - do you really think this is plausible? How will you pay for rent and food if you aren`t working? A big part of moving to another country is making compromises which means taking on jobs that one otherwise wouldn`t do in their home country. And I really disagree with the other poster that foreigners in Japan can just `pick up` the language without any effort. It takes months of ongoing and committed study to learn another language especially one like Japanese that differs a lot from English. I studied hard before I arrived but six months later I still struggle to understand a lot of what`s being said to me. Language learning involves serious commitment and certainly doesn`t happen through osmosis!
by Grow Up (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2014/11/27 16:06
Oh and I forgot to add that all foreigners who work in Japan must have a college degree.
by Grow Up (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2014/11/27 16:29
Hey, why don't you go to a one year language school in Japan close to your bf's home? That way you will get a student visa, and you would have to learn Japanese anyway if you decide to live there.
by Max (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2014/11/27 16:34
I never realized when posting that I would get responses from a holes. I am not fussy...I just simply have NO interest in teaching. I wouldn't mind working but NOT as a teacher...although I do understand that my lack of skills and experience will leave me very limited as far as work goes.

As for rent/expenses I won't have to worry my bf has a house near tokyo so rent/expenses wouldn't be an issue although at some point I would look for some type of work if at all possible to help contribute. I know there is no such thing as a gf visa...

Anyway long story short I love Japanese culture and the people. I am currently trying to learn more Japanese....basically I don't need people being rude I'm just trying to figure out options with my current situation.

Re: Moving to Japan 2014/11/27 16:59
Thank you max I will look into that

Re: Moving to Japan 2014/11/27 18:15
With a student visa you can work part-time up to 28 hours but with no Japanese language skills it's gonna be difficult.

You seem to be a US citizen, no working holiday visa for you.

Link: http://www.juridique.jp/immigration.html

Fussy was a strong word to use but I really don't disagree with it.

You started off with listing what you don't want which leaves with very limited options.

So if you get the student visa (language school are not cheap btw) and find work you can change your visa status...

http://gogonihon.com/study-japan-wiki/Japanese_student_visa
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2014/11/27 18:39
I used to think that getting married a bit earlier than you initially wanted, "just to" get a visa, was a no-go idea. But by now I feel that if you do intend to get married eventually, and if it IS about the only way to "stay together," getting married just a bit earlier than you planned to would not be a bad idea :) Think about it. And yes, apart from that (and getting a Spouse of Japanese National status), enroling and attending a Japanese language school full-time for a year or so would be the way to get a Student status. Best wishes.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2014/11/27 21:34
it's me .. posted earlier.

when I say you pickup the language fast when you in Japan, does not mean that you'll be pera pera speaking/read like Japanese in no time. What I meant was that you will learn how to speak or in this case force to use/speak Japanese and that will help you learn the language fast, but not to textbook/proper Japanese. enough to go about daily life until you decide to get proper Japanese education.

anyway going the student visa way, there'll be money issue as OP will need some proof to show that OP can finance her study/living expenses and not relying on the limited 20hrs per week arubaito work.

by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2014/11/28 01:02
Thank you to those who have replied with POSITIVE feed back and information. I think a Japanese language school will be a good idea. And maybe I can get a working visa once I find a job in Japan. I mentioned this to my boyfriend and he said he would help me.

Also I will be moving to saitama Japan which is north of Tokyo.

Does anyone have any information on Japanese language schools in that area?

And yes I am US citizen living in California so I do not apply for the holiday working visa.

Also he leaves back to japan in june. How soon should I apply for visa or to language school?

Re: Moving to Japan 2014/11/28 01:45
You're not going to get a work visa without a college degree. The only way you can do that is to have several years of experience in your craft, which of course you must have acquired in your home country since you can't get a work visa without it.

You're basically setting yourself up to be dependent on your boyfriend for your entire life. Think again.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2014/11/28 01:50
Damn do all the assh**** of the universe flock to this site? LoL. Anyway if anyone has some positive in formation it would be appreciated. But if you are going to reply negatively like this debbie downer then please do me a favor and just stfu.

Re: Moving to Japan 2014/11/28 02:51
Woah OP, calm down.

Your situation looks bleak tbh. There is not much positive information for you, other than getting a student visa (really the only way for you to be in Japan long-term).

Have you taken a look at the site I've linked to?
Quote: 'Working visas only cover the kind of work that requires high level of professional knowledge or skills.'

'For instance, there is no work visa for hair-dressing, massage, waiter/waitress, salesclerk, construction workers, etc'

With no bachelor and no job experience (I assume) a work visa is nearly impossible to get.

Don't expect positive responses and stop being so defensive. We are being realistic.
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2014/11/28 06:54
Wow, look at the fire in this thread!

What we do not know is the financial situation of OP. She might have decent savings, or maybe family to help out. I think a language school would cost around 6000 to 7000 USD for a whole year, and maybe 3000-4000 USD for 6 months. Now here is the loophole: even if you sign up for a 6 month course, you will get a 1 year visa. This will give you a 6 month period to basically "be" with your boyfriend without having to do something. Of course completing a one year course is better for your Japanese. Even though you do not want to be a teacher, you could still consider doing some part time teaching in the evening or weekends to keep control of your budget. I think bar work at an Irish pub might also be an option if you are into that line of work.

But OP, please also consider what other have said. I'm sure everyone here has only good intentions, and shutting them out might demotivate others to help you out ;)
by Max (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2014/11/28 08:22
It`s inappropriate to call people names and tell them to shut up because they give you information you don`t want to hear. Many of us live Japan and know from experience how hard it is for foreigners without a college degree to find work here. Especially those who don`t want to teach. Why did you ask this question if you`re just going to swear at people who give you honest information? Instead of cussing out people who are giving you realistic advice maybe you should be grateful that they aren`t sugarcoating it for you. Moving to another country is a big deal and beginning a post with `I don`t want to work, or study, or get married, or do anything except mooch off my boyfriend` shows that you haven`t given much serious thought to this at all. Sorry if you think this makes me a debbie downer too but this is the reality of the situation and if you truly want to make a life in Japan you would be more flexible about what you will/will not do especially as your options are already quite limited.
by Grow up (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2014/11/28 08:50
moshimoshi23,

This is the list of accredited Japanese language schools; if you know you are going to be in Saitama, you can select a place nearby, or you can commute into Tokyo:
http://www.nisshinkyo.org/search/area.php?lng=2

Each school has its closing time for starting with a certain term (like spring, fall, etc.) so you will need to check the website of each school. The usual procedure is that you apply with a school, once you get accepted, you pay in the tuition, then the "student" visa application process starts (the school applies on your behalf usually).

And maybe I can get a working visa once I find a job in Japan.
- You can do part-time job while on "student" status up to certain number of hours per week.
- However, for a full-time job, please note that you need to fulfill certain requirements (immigration requirements) to be eligible for a work visa.

You need to be patient and plan well for a cross-border move :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread