Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it worth to visit Mount Koya 2014/11/27 14:45
Hi all,

Please don't think I am crazy to ask this question.

I searched Mount Koya on this website and also the other sites. I checked all of them and the result was that this would be a must-see.

However, on my opinion, if I am using JR pass, and do not spend a night at Mount Koya, this attraction seems to be not worth visiting for a day-trip. I also feel that there are not many activities to do except for sightseeing.

In fact, we will spend full 4 days in Kyoto, so Mount Koya is so similar.

Is there any idea or suggestion?

Thanks in advance.
by lnkhang  

Re: Is it worth to visit Mount Koya 2014/11/27 15:59
Visiting Koyasan really depends on the person. I will say that it's close to the easiest place so stay in a Shuboku or temple lodging.

I took my parents here a little under 2 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The temples and such are interesting but nothing compared to the best of Kyoto. However - I will say that Okunoin is one of my favourite places in Japan (Japan's largest cemetery).

As such - if that does not really interest you then I'd probably give it a miss. If you want to stay in a temple and visit the cemetery then give it a think.

I hope this helps. If there are many responses to this thread- you'll find that people often have strong feeling about Koyasan with some people loving the place and others feeling as though it is a glorified tourist trap.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Is it worth to visit Mount Koya 2014/11/28 00:12
Hi,

Thanks for your comments.
It is highly possible that I will ignore it. Insteads, I will give one more day in Hiroshima.
by lnkhang (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it worth to visit Mount Koya 2014/11/28 01:17
I agree with your thoughts about Koya. You will see much nicer temples and gardens in Kyoto. In my opinion Koya is like a huge cememtery. If you really want to stay overnight at a temple you can also do it in Kyoto.
Also, with limited time in Japan you will use an entire day to see Koya.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Is it worth to visit Mount Koya 2014/11/28 06:57
It is a very personal preference.
We were unable to spend a night there, but thoroughly enjoyed our day trip from Osaka, using the World Heritage Pass.
The travel scenery changes from Osaka development to the mountains, which we loved.
We visited Kongobuji temple, and its beautiful Zen garden; then we had an amazing lunch (Kaiseki Ryori) in another temple, again, overlooking a lovely garden: followed by a guided tour of the templefs religious areas by one of the monks: so we could galmosth experience the religious aspect of a visit.
Finally, a couple of hours walking through Okunoin, and seeing the eternal lanterns was an extraordinary experience, and very different to anything in Kyoto, or elsewhere.
So, it depends on your interests: Mt Koya is a wonderful place, be it overnight or for the day. I recommend it, but would advise reading up on the history first.
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Is it worth to visit Mount Koya 2014/11/28 11:10
The temples in Kyoto are surely better.

But the koya is such a small town that you can cover 80% of the temples in 4-5 hours
Every few minutes another temple appears
As it is nested in the forest/mountain
It is quiet, and the tall trees gives and other wordily experience
Staying overnight at a temple gives a true zen feeling. An experience transcending just walking about temples in Kyoto.
Tasting monk food
Smelling wood and trees
Seeing really old stuff
Hearing monk chant
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it worth to visit Mount Koya 2014/11/28 12:48
If you don't know anything about Shingon Buddhism or Japanese history, a day trip is going to be nothing but a chance to gawk at more temples.I guess what I'm saying is that Koya-san is more appropriately a restful timeout than a hurried day trip to take just so you can check the area off your list. You can spend more time in Kyoto. There r lots of activities waiting for you such as Fushimi Inari Shrine,Kinkaku-ji Temple,Zenrinji-temple, Eikan-do... and eating lots lots of things ;)
I hope this could help.
by analia93 rate this post as useful

Re: Is it worth to visit Mount Koya 2014/11/28 15:11
Thanks a lot for your all suggestions.

I won't visit Koya this time. :).

Maybe, it could be the reason for the other trip to Japan.
by lnkhang rate this post as useful

reply to this thread