Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What is the translation for this 2014/11/28 04:08
So I don't know Japanese but when I use google translate I notice that somethings are reversed for example,

world of today translated to 今日の世界

but isn't 世界 world, so why is it last?

So what would the correct translation be?
by dandeluonfluff  

Re: What is the translation for this 2014/11/28 10:51
Because it's Japanese, not English... The particle の shows ownership. So it's essentially "today's world", I.e. the world of today.
by Cuban (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is the translation for this 2014/11/28 11:20
Grammatical structure of a sentence (or phrase) is very different between English and Japanese.
of in English is preposition (meaning it comes before the noun), while の comes after a noun.

今日の = of today
世界 = World

It's more like saying "Today's world" in English.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is the translation for this 2014/11/28 17:20
The meaning of の is much more general than "ownership". Basically, AのB, where A and B are nouns, means that A describes or modifies B in some way. It can be that B belongs to A, such as in 先生の車, but it can be something else. Consider for example 日本人の女子, or 数学の教科書, or 友達の春香さん, or...
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: What is the translation for this 2014/11/28 17:41
Of course, but it that context it is. I thought it best not to confuse the OP, who does not know Japanese.
by Cuban (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is the translation for this 2014/11/28 20:07
If you say flat out that "の = ownership", then OP will perhaps not be confused now, but he will certainly be confused later when he encounters a の where the "ownership" interpretation makes no sense (arguably, it makes no sense here either).

Personally, I like to think people are intelligent and able to understand things, at least until proven otherwise.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: What is the translation for this 2014/11/28 22:25
AのB.
the main subject is "B". "Aの" is "adjective". "の" can change the noun("A") to adjective.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is the translation for this 2014/12/2 11:02
Ahhh ok this makes much more sense. Thank you all!
by dandeluonfluff rate this post as useful

reply to this thread