Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nosebleed issues 2014/12/2 06:34
Hello,
I have visited Japan several times and I am aware of the rumor that nosebleed is considered a sign of excitement, well in a perverted way.

Is this still the fact in Japan today?

I have (mostly in winter or in dry air) issues with sudden nosebleeding, sometimes it happens just as I sit down on a chair or something like that. Imagine me sitting down in a crowded subway of Tokyo and starting to bleed.

Would people think of me as a pervert? Or not because I am from abroad? Would anyoneoffer a tissue or napkin?

I had a nosebleed on the plane back home but as the guy next to me (window seat) was sleeping and tray full I had no choice but to stick my fingers up to stop it. Gross I know but had no choice.

And yes I have visited doctor dozens of times to "cure" this but they cant do much, just telling me to keep nose wet.
by Stefan (guest)  

Re: Nosebleed issues 2014/12/2 10:41
Would people think of me as a pervert?

No. People might be concerned you have some health issue, but not that you are a pervert.

If you know you have that condition, be sure to carry a pack or two of Kleenex, they come in those pocket sized packages.

In air-conditioned areas, and even outdoors, yes the air does get dry... you cold try wearing a face mask to keep your nose (and throat) from drying.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Nosebleed issues 2014/12/2 10:51
I have this problem too, and my area of Japan especially is VERY dry. A few years ago I actually went to a nose doctor and had the veins in my nose cauterized. It didn't 100% solve the problem, but I no longer get nosebleeds at random times. That was a great decision, I'm considering doing it again if it's bad this year.

Carrying tissues is an excellent idea, as well as a bag to put them in. Wearing a face mask also helps, because your breath helps keep moisture in the mask, making it less dry. For airplanes I wear a special facemask that has a wet insert in the front which can be soaked in water, and that helps a toooooon, since airplanes are one of the worst places for dry air.

When I go snowboarding too, I sometimes wear a mask under my winter gear.

But sometimes there's only so much you can do. People will be understanding. And I think the "nosebleed because of arousal" only happens in manga anyway! ~_^
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Nosebleed issues 2014/12/2 14:51
lawl I saw a yt vid about it (Rachel&Jun maybe?) and it said this is a manga trope but most Japanese don't think a nosebleed suggests having pervy thoughts
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nosebleed issues 2014/12/2 17:27
Oh dear how embarassing really. Talk about stereotypic thoughts I had. Well I thought it was like in manga the way with nosebleed.

So far the only time I have had a public nosebleed except the plane was in the stairs from a subway. Had a 100 meters to my home but as there were so many people out I ran into a small store instead, hands full of blood looking like a random maniac. But it solved.

But still I would not want that to occur in Japan in a packed train. Whew.

I ought to talk to the doctor as this has gotten such a problem again.

Thank yoy for your replies!
by Stefan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nosebleed issues 2014/12/2 18:08
By the way, you might want to bring a stock of tissues from home, because (as you probably have noticed during your previous visits) Japanese tissues are ridiculously thin, to the point of uselessness.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Nosebleed issues 2014/12/2 18:16
I know about the tissues, oh dear, and the toilet paper... oh my... I wonder why it is like that. Environmental reasons?
by Stefan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nosebleed issues 2014/12/2 21:26
What's oh dear about any tissues and toilet paper in Japan? They are supposed to be kind to the skin :) I don't quite like the (sorry if I generalize too much) the European style "tissue," which are almost like table napkins.

The soft ones you can tear up a bit, roll up, and plug up your nose.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Nosebleed issues 2014/12/3 10:14
What do you expect? Of course the free tissue paper that you get on the street is low quality. But no need to bring a huge supply from home. If you want better tissue it is inexpensive and readily available at any conbini. Try the "+water" or lotion tissue. Those should work well for you if you have frequent nosebleeds.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Nosebleed issues 2014/12/7 12:09
This is a recent MV of Korean band T-ARA performing with Chinese duo Chopsticks Brothers (T-ARA recently visited Beijing). The song is 'Little Apple'. Nosebleeds feature and suggest questionable excitement! I love T-ARA but the nosebleeds here are just gross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05-c-iy-WnY
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nosebleed issues 2014/12/12 17:33
I am also a bit prone to nosebleeds caused by the dry winter air and AC here, as well as having some allergy issues, so I always, always carry at least a couple of small packs of tissues with me- it's something I check I have along with my keys and wallet when I leave the house!

So it's possible that people might offer you a tissue, but since you can't be sure of it and are prone to nosebleeds, surely you'd also want to make sure you had some with you at all times? You can also buy them at any convenience store, drugstore and station kiosk, so there's no reason to be without them really.
by Maia (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nosebleed issues 2015/1/19 16:12
I've always had a nosebleed problem too. As a kid, in the winter, it was especially bad - at least one a day and lasting anywhere from 20 minutes to over an hour (once it was 2 hours - the school staff was freaking out). It's a lot tamer now but I always do worry about it happening in public, especially since when they do happen, they're usually quite heavy and last quite long. I have a nasel gel called 'Secaris' that I put inside my nose every night and I find it helps prevent them a lot (there is also 'Rhinaris' which is the same thing - I use the gel type, not the spray, because spraying inside my nose causes a nosebleed), so you may want to look for something like that!
by Kirjava444 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nosebleed issues 2015/1/19 16:14
Also, I highly DO NOT recommend cauterizing. I've had it done and it was highly uncomfortable and solved exactly nothing. I was back to having nosebleeds the very next day
by Kirjava444 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nosebleed issues 2015/1/19 21:23
The nose gel you recommend sounds good.

I had 0 nosebleeds after cauterizing for about 3 years. 1 or 2 year 4, a few more than that year 5, etc. It is now year 6, but I've only had one. It does seem to heal over time, but compared to several a week and sometimes every day like before I cauterized, I'm quite happy with it.

Maybe your doctor just sucked...
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread