Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

To Takayama, from which airport is faster? 2014/12/4 12:27
Hi, i am planning to visit Takayama in April. And, I heard that Hokuriku Shinkansen line from Tokyo to Toyama will be finished in March.

So, i am wondering which airport i should start. Central Japan airport ( centair in Nagoya) or Haneda airport (Tokyo), which shinkansen line will be faster and convenience to travel to Takayama station???

Thank uou thank you.
by pinnytony  

Re: To Takayama, from which airport is faster? 2014/12/4 18:25
Simple - Nagoya. You need to still catch a train from Toyama to Takayama....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: To Takayama, from which airport is faster? 2014/12/4 23:39
Train from Central Japan Airport to Takayama is about 3 hrs. Hokuriku Shinkansen line from Tokyo to Toyama will be less than hour (information from this website but don't know exact minites) plus train from Toyama to Takayama takes about 1.30 hr.... So, from this point, from Tokyo may be better???
by pinnytony rate this post as useful

Re: To Takayama, from which airport is faster? 2014/12/4 23:54
The person above doesn't have the timetable for April, so I don't know where he gets his 1 hour from Tokyo to Toyama. As it is now, it's more than 3 hours via Echigo-Yuzawa.
by m (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: To Takayama, from which airport is faster? 2014/12/5 08:36
Extension to Kanazawa

With the extension of the shinkansen line from March 14, 2015, three additional, new train categories will be introduced along the Hokuriku Shinkansen. All of them will be covered by the Japan Rail Pass:

The Kagayaki will be the fastest train category along the Hokuriku Shinkansen. On its 2.5 hour journey between Tokyo and Kanazawa, it will stop only at Ueno, Omiya, Nagano and Toyama. The Kagayaki features twelve cars, one of which is Gran Class, the first class service by JR.

The Nagano Shinkansen (長野新幹線, Nagano Shinkansen) is a shinkansen line that connects Tokyo with Nagano. It was opened in 1997 in time for the Nagano Winter Olympics and is operated by the East Japan Railway Company, commonly known as JR East. Formally known as the Hokuriku Shinkansen, this shinkansen line will be extended to Kanazawa on March 14, 2015.

The Asama, named after the large active volcano on the border between Gunma Prefecture and Nagano Prefecture, is the only train category along the Nagano Shinkansen. It operates between Tokyo and Nagano Stations with various stopping patterns. Two types of train sets are used: one with 8 cars and one with 12 cars. The 12-car train sets carry one Gran Class car, the first class service by JR.

Note: For simplification, some rare train compositions and stopping patterns are omitted.

Extension to Kanazawa

With the extension of the shinkansen line from March 14, 2015, three additional, new train categories will be introduced along the Hokuriku Shinkansen. All of them will be covered by the Japan Rail Pass:

The Kagayaki will be the fastest train category along the Hokuriku Shinkansen. On its 2.5 hour journey between Tokyo and Kanazawa, it will stop only at Ueno, Omiya, Nagano and Toyama. The Kagayaki features twelve cars, one of which is Gran Class, the first class service by JR.

The Hakutaka is the slower of the two train categories that run along the entire length of the Hokuriku Shinkansen. It skips most stations between Tokyo and Nagano, but stops at most of the stations beyond Nagano. The Hakutaka features the same train sets as the Kagayaki.

The Asama will continue running just between Tokyo and Nagano, using 8-car train sets without Gran Class.

The Tsurugi will shuttle between Kanazawa and Toyama Station, providing travelers arriving by limited express train from Osaka and Kyoto with a connection to Toyama.

by pinnytony rate this post as useful

Re: To Takayama, from which airport is faster? 2014/12/5 08:59
If it takes 2.5 hours from Tokyo to Kanazawa, I'm sure it won't take 1.5 hours from Tokyo to Toyama. It takes 80 minutes to go from Tokyo to Nagano as it is, I'm sure the calculations aren't correct to Toyama in one hour, regardless of how few stops there are in between.
by m (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: To Takayama, from which airport is faster? 2014/12/5 10:23
The Hokuriku Shinkansen is estimated to take about 2 hours to make the trip between Tokyo and Toyama. Plus you have to add about 30 minutes for the Haneda/Tokyo transfer, so you're looking at a roughly 4 hour trip between Haneda and Takayama with good connections. That's marginally faster than the Nagoya route, however the frequency of trains along the Tokaido Shinkansen might cancel out that disadvantage depending on the time schedule.

I'm not sure I'd choose airports based on time to Takayama. What is the rest of your itinerary and are there significant difference in the cost of flights?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread