Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traveling before Visa start date 2014/12/5 15:59
I am a US citizen and I have a student Visa for Japan starting 3/16.

My current itinerary involves going to Taiwan early January, then to Japan in February.

I am under the impression that when I enter Japan in February, I would be going as a tourist. Can I switch to Visa status without leaving the country? If not, can I fly to Taiwan and back without having to go to the US (shorter flight)?

As for renting an apartment, do I need a Visa to rent?
by aether  

Re: Traveling before Visa start date 2014/12/11 05:48
Anyone know?
by aether rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling before Visa start date 2014/12/11 06:31
You can apply to have your status changed while in Japan, but this is a completely different procedure so you will be starting completely from scratch, as if you didn't have a visa in the first place. Success is also not guaranteed since by law you are not supposed to do that unless you have "extenuating and unavoidable circumstances". The procedure is described here:

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/02.html

Most renters in the standard market will want to see your residence card as proof that you are staying for the whole duration of the contract, so renting a standard apartment is a no-no. You might have more luck with agencies which specifically cater to foreigners, like the so-called "gaijin houses".
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling before Visa start date 2014/12/11 06:32
And yes, a flight to Taiwan is fine. You only need to exit Japan and re-enter with your visa, the destination is unimportant.

Re: Traveling before Visa start date 2014/12/11 14:38
Thank you, that helps a lot!

Re: Traveling before Visa start date 2014/12/14 07:29
Sorry, I've got one more question.

Am I able to leave Japan and re-enter during the span of my student visa? From what I've read, it looks like its okay but it wasn't very specific.

Re: Traveling before Visa start date 2014/12/14 08:49
Yes, that shouldn't be a problem.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling before Visa start date 2014/12/17 08:22
This question is vice-versa of the initial question. My son has been in Japan under a student visa. His program is now over. We will be joining him a week. I purchased a JR Pass for him but just read that his passport must be stamped "Visitor". Is there any hope that he will be able to exchange the voucher for his JR Pass?
by NWP (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling before Visa start date 2014/12/17 08:46
If his status is not "Temporary Visitor", he can't exchange the pass, this is strictly enforced. Changing your status to T.V. from something else while in Japan is also unusual, so the best thing to do would be to take a cheap flight to Korea or Taiwan (e.g. with Peach) and re-enter Japan as a T.V.

Re: Traveling before Visa start date 2014/12/17 09:12
That's what I thought. Thanks for the quick reply.
by NWP (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling before Visa start date 2014/12/17 10:33
Changing your status to T.V. from something else while in Japan is also unusual

It may be somewhat uncommon, but I wouldn't say that getting approval is all that unusual, especially when changing from a student to a visitor. The main thing that comes to mind is that they may only give you a 15 day stay rather than a 90 day stay.

I would inquire at your local immigration office. If possible they can change you out on the day. Otherwise consider doing a visa run.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread