Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advice for driving in Takayama area please 2014/12/6 06:55
Can I please ask you guys one quick question regarding the area around Takayama? We're visiting in late March.

If we were to hire a car from Matsumoto and head in the direction of Takayama, which town makes the best base? Looking at google maps it seems this area is easy enough to drive around - we are happy to drive within an hour or two of each town. I'm thinking it doesn't really matter which place we decide to stay, as it is easily reached if you have a car? Correct me if I'm wrong please.

We will be taking the train from Takayama to Nagoya on our day of departure so need to stay close-by for car drop off etc. but I'm not sure how close everything is.

We'd love to cover a fair amount of area in this region over two days if not too rushed, Eg, Hirayu Onsen area, Kamikochi, Takayama and then on to Hida, Shirakawa-go..

Would love to hear any views at all.

Thanks!
by 123happy  

Re: Advice for driving in Takayama area please 2014/12/8 03:51
If you're going to check out the area around Takayama, I would stay in Takayama. You have a mountain range between Matsumoto and Takayama.

The shortest route that goes from Matsumoto to Takayama isn't that close time-wise, and may even be closed in March to clear snow. If the pass is closed due to snow, you'll have to drive most of the way to Nagoya to cross and turn north again for Takayama.

Kamikochi is closed in March and doesn't open until the last half of April depending on when they get the snow cleared.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6040.html

It's also about 80 km from Takayama to Ogimachi (Shirakawa) through the mountains although the last half can be driven on the Tokai-Hokuriku Expressway.

Toyota rents cars in Takayama. They have a link in English:
https://rent.toyota.co.jp/en/index.html

You could also rent a car in Nagoya and drive up to Shirakawa and Takayama, returning by car.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for driving in Takayama area please 2014/12/8 08:29
"Advice for driving in Takayama area "

DON'T. :)
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for driving in Takayama area please 2014/12/16 13:24
Thank-You for your excellent advice Anaguma!
It's not as simple as I thought :(
I guess highway buses don't necessarily run through winter also? I read on an old forum that Nouhibus Buses do still run daily so I will look into that option.

Thank-You also Dick, I had a laugh with your reply; "Don't!"
by 123happy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread