Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sapporo Snow Festival Itinerary? 2014/12/6 09:20
Does this look reasonable in terms of going around Sapporo (and cities a train ride away)? I understand that there will be gaps in time, so I am wondering if some of these sites are covered quickly or slowly...

Also, I am traveling solo.

Feb. 5 (Thursday):
-Arrive New Chitose Airport at 4pm.
-(Snow Miku Skytown exhibits at the airport for an hour maybe)
-Check into accomodations.
-Dinner (Ramen) suggestion? Mid range to low price preferred (not fine dining :)

Feb. 6:
-Snow Festival: Odori Site
-Sapporo Factory
-Snow Festival: Susukino Site
-After sunset: Visit Otaru (candle lights festival)

Feb. 7:
-Attending a concert from before noon through 1:30pm.
-Go to Asahikawa Snow Festival
-Asahikawa Zoo?

Feb 8:
-Depart from New Chitose at 11:45am
(Snow Miku Skytown if its open)

I've been looking up information about Otaru and Asahikawa on the site here. For anyone who has visited, does this look like a relaxed/reasonable itin for each day? Might something be worth visiting better than the Zoo?

Any restaurant/food suggestions that are easily accessible or near stations/hotspots are very much welcome! I'm a moderate fan of beer and spirits, btw.
by WongJP  

Re: Sapporo Snow Festival Itinerary? 2014/12/6 10:27
Not a bad plan, mate. A few thoughts:

- The Susukino site is probably best appreciated after dark, when the ice sculptures are all lit up. You might consider visiting on the 5th after dinner.

- If you decide to do Susukino on the 5th, this will allow you to enjoy your planned itinerary for the 6th in a more relaxed fashion. Consider visiting Otaru a little earlier in the day when the museums and other attractions are still open, then venture out and admire the candlelit Snow Light Path after the sun goes down.

- Looking at the timestamps on my pictures, it appears that I was able to see both the Asahikawa Winter Festival and the Asahikawa Zoo in 5-7 hours. Due to your concert on the 7th, the day might be a little too packed, but then again the zoo closes later during the festival period (http://www5.city.asahikawa.hokkaido.jp/asahiyamazoo/) so it might be possible to follow through on your plan. Worst case, much as I love the zoo, dropping it probably wouldn't count as a fatal loss (especially if you won't make it in time for the Penguin Walk anyway).

All of these points are illustrated in one form or another on my blog - you know the way (^_^).

Incidentally, 2015's Yuki Miku looks a darned sight better than the one for 2014. If we'd had the 2015 version when I went, I'd have pre-ordered the nendoroid in a heartbeat. Lucky you.

Cheers.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

Re: Sapporo Snow Festival Itinerary? 2014/12/6 11:53
I'd allocate more time for Otaru, go there in the afternoon and have a walk around, the town is really pleasant.
Also, Sapporo Snow Festival's Tsudome site is great fun if you're into snow activities.
by AlexanderStankov rate this post as useful

Re: Sapporo Snow Festival Itinerary? 2014/12/8 10:03
Thanks for the suggestions, both of you.

That makes sense. Going to the Susukino area on the evening of the 5th would be cool. I'd like to check out the sculptures in the evening then when they are nicely lit.

I also learned of the JR T38 Observatory Tower. I may check that out one of the evenings as well.

Regarding Otaru, what are your recommendations to check out? I heard that Otaru is known for their whiskey (or was it beer)?
by WongJP (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sapporo Snow Festival Itinerary? 2014/12/8 11:00
I also have a question about Asahikawa - if I'm not heading to the Zoo and just checking out the Snow Sculptures (and some ramen in the city), about how long do you think I would be sticking around the area before heading back to Sapporo?
by WongJP (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sapporo Snow Festival Itinerary? 2014/12/8 17:30
Regarding Otaru, what are your recommendations to check out? I heard that Otaru is known for their whiskey (or was it beer)?

I thought the Otaru City Museum was rather nice (http://withinstrikingdistance.wordpress.com/2014/06/15/field-report-ot...). More options are available on the Japan-Guide entry for Otaru http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6700.html).

Can't say much about the liquor side of things - not much of a drinker (^_^) - but I believe there's a whisky distillery about half an hour by train from Otaru (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6707.html).

I also have a question about Asahikawa - if I'm not heading to the Zoo and just checking out the Snow Sculptures (and some ramen in the city), about how long do you think I would be sticking around the area before heading back to Sapporo?

Mm, that's a toughie. Not counting the zoo, I covered the Asahikawa festival in about 3 hours including lunch, BUT, I was in something of a hurry at the time (had to transfer hotels so was rushing to get back to Sapporo). I didn't really do much and skipped a few things. I'd say plan on 5-7 hours if you want to be more thorough than I was.

Re: Sapporo Snow Festival Itinerary? 2014/12/9 06:00
I thought the Otaru City Museum was rather nice (http://withinstrikingdistance.wordpress.com/2014/06/15/field-report-ot...). More options are available on the Japan-Guide entry for Otaru http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6700.html).

Thanks for the tip! I think I may skip the museum depending on how much time I'm spending at the candlelight stuff and running into things along the canal (or eating near/in the station?)

Can't say much about the liquor side of things - not much of a drinker (^_^) - but I believe there's a whisky distillery about half an hour by train from Otaru

Nice! Sorry that I forgot about looking at the Japan Guide pages for that particular entry. I might check it out prior to sunset in Otaru. Perhaps I will check out the Odori site that day from the morning until lunch. Have lunch, do some local window shopping then go to Otaru a couple of hours before sunset?

Mm, that's a toughie. Not counting the zoo, I covered the Asahikawa festival in about 3 hours including lunch, BUT, I was in something of a hurry at the time (had to transfer hotels so was rushing to get back to Sapporo). I didn't really do much and skipped a few things. I'd say plan on 5-7 hours if you want to be more thorough than I was.

You may be much more thorough than I would be, but 4-5 hours sounds reasonable. I suppose the "worst" case scenario is to just return rom Asahikawa and then explore more of Sapporo or such. I don't know if the Tsu Dome site is worth visiting if I'm not going to partake in any activities though?

Diego, for Otaru or Asahikawa, did you make train reservations in advance (for Asahikawa more so)?
by WongJP rate this post as useful

Re: Sapporo Snow Festival Itinerary? 2014/12/11 06:05
Updated schedule. It also looks like my concert actually *starts* at 13:00 :/ So I might be seeing Asahikawa after sunset instead of during the daytime?

What do you think of this revised schedule? Looks like I won't be going to the Zoo this round, I don't think there is enough time.

Feb. 5 (Thursday):
-(Snow Miku Skytown exhibits at the airport for an hour maybe)
-Dinner (Ramen) suggestion? Mid range to low price preferred (not fine dining :)
- Snow Festival: Susukino Site

Feb. 6:
-Snow Festival: Odori Site (From 8am)
-Sapporo Factory (Brunch?)
-Nikka Whiskey Distillery (Yoichi)
-Otaru Light Path & Dinner

Feb. 7:
-Attending Concert (start 1pm, ends around 3pm)
-Go to Asahikawa Snow Festival & Dinner there

Feb 8:
(Snow Miku Skytown if its open after I've checked into my flight)

Re: Sapporo Snow Festival Itinerary? 2014/12/25 03:28
Hi Diego, and all, Happy Holidays! :)

Updated itinerary. @Diego, what do you think? Because of the concert running in the middle of the day, my time at Asahikawa would be relatively short. Maybe 4 hours, and I would get there at 5:30 or 6pm when it's dark already.

Should I forego Asahikawa and just try to take in more of Sapporo on my second full day of being there?

Feb. 5 (Thursday):
-(Snow Miku Skytown exhibits at the airport for an hour)
-Snow Festival: Susukino Site

Feb. 6:
-Snow Festival: Odori Site (From 8am)
-Sapporo Factory (Brunch?)
-Shopping in Sapporo
-Otaru Brewery late lunch, then Light Path & Dinner

Feb. 7:
-Attending Concert (lines up at 12pm, ends at 3pm)
-Go to Asahikawa Snow Festival & Dinner there? Would get there at 5:30pm :(

Feb 8:

Re: Sapporo Snow Festival Itinerary? 2014/12/25 18:51
Hello mate - and Merry Christmas!

05 Feb: Looks fine to me. As for ramen, Ezokko (http://withinstrikingdistance.wordpress.com/2014/06/07/food-report-ezo...) might be worth trying. You might also want to check Ramen Kyōwakoku (http://www.sapporo-esta.jp/ramen) in the ESTA complex near Sapporo Station - it's a whole mini-street of different ramen shops so this will give you a good bit of variety.

06 Feb: Looks fine as well.

07 Feb: Asahikawa might still be worth the side trip if you have a JR Pass, but mind your return connections as options are rather thin on the ground after 8 PM (http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=ASAHIKAWA&arv_n...). I'd book the return journey in advance if possible.

08 Feb: Get to the airport as early as you can - it can be a madhouse during the festival season (I experienced some of the longest airport queues I've ever seen at New Chitose towards the end of the 2014 Yuki Matsuri). Hopefully it will be a little less crowded for you as you're leaving a couple of days before the end of the festival, but better safe than sorry.

Cheers and have a great time.

Re: Sapporo Snow Festival Itinerary? 2014/12/26 13:37
Thanks, Diego. I'll think about whether or not Asahikawa is worth running around (for three or four hours I don't know if it will?). I'm sure I can find enough to see and do in Sapporo if I decide to stick around after the concert :)

reply to this thread