Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yaeyama/Ishigaki: Iriomote, Kohama, Yubu 2014/12/9 09:59
Hello all.

I'm heading back to the Yaeyama Isles this winter after loving my time there this summer.

This August hit Ishigaki-shi, Kabira, Sukuji and then headed off to Kuro-shima and Taketomi. I loved Taketomi so much that, unlike most day-trippers, I bedded down and stayed there nearly a week.

This time I'm hoping to hit a few islands I've not seen before. Maybe a day trip to Hateruma and then a few days on Iriomote/Kohama.

Does anyone out there have any advice as to where I could possibly base myself on Iriomote? Where do people tend to stay on the island? I'd like to be somewhere that has a nice evening-beer/sunset vibe, maybe somewhere near Yubu. That place looks like my cup of tea.

Thanks to you all in advance.

P
by bigpaulc  

Re: Yaeyama/Ishigaki: Iriomote, Kohama, Yubu 2014/12/9 12:43
For Iriomote, I stayed at Uehara since the majority of nature stuff we wanted to do was closer to there, but we also rented a car and drove around to the Ohara area. There's a gorgeous beach down there! I think anywhere you stay will be fine, since it isn't THAT big of an island. If you're taking care of your own transportation than it really doesn't matter, but if you're relying on the infrequent buses, then it might be good to do a bit of research on when the buses come where, and where they go what time, so you wont miss seeing something because of a missed or bad connection.

I think they all have the vibe you're going for in the end, so pick the place you like the best!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread