Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Finding dropped wallet after one week 2014/12/12 21:12
last week i lost my wallet. unfortunately it has quite a bit of money in it. i retraced my steps and double checked with the last store i was at, and then i reported it lost to the police. are there any other steps i can take to try and locate it? the only other option is that someone stole it. im in a rural area in japan and our house doesn't have a lock on the front door.
by _fagwitch (guest)  

Re: Finding dropped wallet after one week 2014/12/13 13:40
Do you live anywhere in the district? (Prefecture and cities)
If you know the characteristics of the wallet, in some cases found the information on the Internet.
Do a place where you go everyday (for example, school, etc.) has been confirmed?
Are you using the same bag every day?
Do not have transferred the valuables to other bag?
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Finding dropped wallet after one week 2014/12/13 18:16
fagwitch,

Here are things I did when I dropped my wallet. And you may not like the way it turned out.

- I canceled all my cards except my train card (Pasmo).

- I repeatedly went to the same koban until I became friendly with the policemen, and asked them if I can see the security camera recording at the store I went to. The store didn't let me, but they let the police see it, and they confirmed that I still had my wallet when the camera last captured me at the exit.

- I went to a train station and asked to have my lost train card's usage record (rireki) printed out. It turned out that the card was used after I lost it!

Long story short, now I knew for good that it was stolen. To be precise, I probably dropped or left it somewhere and someone just took it (along with photos and diary that mean nothing to anyone else but me).

The good news is that the security camera allowed me to guess more precisely where I dropped/left it and the card record freed me from all the illusions I was having about where it may be. Of course, I then canceled the train card. The ugly news is that it was stolen closer to my home than I thought.

The other thing is that if you may have lost it in your home, you should search every hidden corner. A theif may have came in, stole the money and hid everything else so that it would take time for the owner realises it's gone. I once left my wallet on a table at a friends' home and it disappeared, until my friend moved away and it came out from the back of a sterio set with cash taken away.

Either way, I don't think it's very wise to leave cash and other precious things such as passports in a place without a lock.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Finding dropped wallet after one week 2014/12/13 18:41
Yes I am currently living in the area. I have been using the same bag. I checked all the places i had it and double checked the path I took 3 times.
by Fagwitch (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Finding dropped wallet after one week 2014/12/13 21:49
Thanks for the reply.
If you know the Prefecture and city where you live, if the police are public information on the Internet, you might be able to find the information.
When passed three months from the loss, it becomes not your thing.
So, it may be better to wait was contact the police.
I think identification that contains contact if enters, but there is a possibility that it has been abandoned.
If it was stolen in the house, it may be better that you consult your landlord.
Or, real estate company you rented the room.
Once you have sign up fort the fire insurance, there is a possibility that theft compensation can be.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread