Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Purchasing new tourist SIM cards 2014/12/12 23:23
Looking at TIC Tokyo, they indicate that these SIM cards are available at BIC CAMERA stores. The BIC CAMERA website indicates there is one of their locations in Kyoto station. Does TIC Kyoto also offer them at their locations in Kyoto station. If there are locations in the Kyoto staion where I can purchase a tourist preloaded SIM card, could you please show me on a map where they are located.
by Timothy (guest)  

Re: Purchasing new tourist SIM cards 2014/12/13 17:00
You can search Google Maps with the name of big buildings & stores in Japan, such as Bic Camera, along with the city name. In fact, for the large stores like Bic, merely typing in the word Bic, or the words Bic Camera, in the search box, will give you some Japanese locations, without you even having to enter the word Japan at all. You can then refine your search.
by Susan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Purchasing new tourist SIM cards 2014/12/14 09:17
Does TIC Kyoto also offer them at their locations in Kyoto station.

By TIC do you mean the Tourist Information Center? If so, no none of the tourist info centers sell sim cards. You'll have to get them at an electronics store.

If there are locations in the Kyoto staion where I can purchase a tourist preloaded SIM card, could you please show me on a map where they are located.

There is a BIC Camera at Kyoto Station. Yodobashi Camera about a block away also carries preloaded cards. Note that they may have to be activated, and the staff at the shop should be able to help you out with that.

BIC:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Japan,+%E3%80%92600-0000+Ky%C5%8Dto-...

Yodobashi:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/%E4%BA%AC%E9%83%BD%E3%83%A8%E3%83%89...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Purchasing new tourist SIM cards 2014/12/14 15:28
As Tomothy stated in his message, and as is posted on the TIC Tokyo website, "TIC TOKYO started selling gJapan Travel SIM powered by IIJmioh a package of prepaid SIM card with 2GB of high-speed date volume for visitors traveling in Japan." Also posted is a news item dated 2014-12-09, "Japan Travel SIM powered by IIJmioh a 2GB Prepaid SIM Card is now on sale at TIC TOKYO."
by Susan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Purchasing new tourist SIM cards 2014/12/17 10:59
Sorry, it wasn't clear that he was inquiring about a specific sim card rather than sim cards in general. I was not aware of the new service being offered, as new sims are popping up almost weekly these days. Seems its sold at stores as well as the Tokyo tourist info center, but not the Kyoto tourist info center. They don't list the selling price, so I can't tell if it's a good deal or not, but their recharge rates indicates that it may be competitively priced. I'd consider it if its around 4000-5000 yen, otherwise I'd probably consider the So-net offerings instead.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Purchasing new tourist SIM cards 2014/12/17 12:50
I would also recommend so-net.
They are easy to find in retail shops, the price is good for limited stay time (30 or 60days), and it's easy to activate.
Price:
3000yen 1G, 30days
4000yen 2.2G, 30days
5000yen 3G, 60days

Only one point, although it says "skip credit card", I've found on both cards I've activated, that you need to put in credit card details, even if you don't intend to recharge it.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread