Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shiretoko and Akan worth without car? 2014/12/15 05:04
Hi,
Have been to parts of Hokkaido but never got to visit the northeast with lake Akan and Shiretoko peninsula. Looking at the pictures it looks really beautiful but I was thinking if it really is worth going there since I have no drivings licence and thus have to rely solely on public transport (or walking).

Are there any more accessible areas of Hokkaido that is alike? Or perhaps in other parts of Japan?

Have been to lake Toya twice, maybe it's "the same" somehow, if you get the idea.
by Traversis (guest)  

Re: Shiretoko and Akan worth without car? 2014/12/15 22:06
The entire Hokkaido is difficult to explore without a car, though I did my best this summer. Shiretoko was well-accessible by public transportation, but I'm not sure if the buses continue operating in winter. Similarly, the Masshu-KawayuOnsen-Akan area had this very useful bus network that you buy a 2-day pass for, but I think that's seasonal too.
by AlexanderStankov rate this post as useful

Re: Shiretoko and Akan worth without car? 2014/12/16 04:02
I would only go in summer if I would do.

Areas in the south seem more accessible by bus and so on (even if the bus in Toya did not go very often) than the north.

If going by car is the best (and most reliable) then maybe I should pass. I go for the nature part, so if anything alike (maybe Toya is like the northeast) with more accessibility then would be better.

Still I am quite curious about Utoro (spelling) as it seems so distant and rural compared to central Honshu and beyond.
by Traversis (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shiretoko and Akan worth without car? 2014/12/16 11:02
If you're going in the summer, then there's no problem. Just plan your itinerary in a smart way to make use of the bus timetables. Part of Shiretoko is closed for cars anyway so you can explore it with a bus only.
And the lakes around Kawayu Onsen are nice too and accessible.
by AlexanderStankov rate this post as useful

reply to this thread