Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travelling to Tokyo and Nagoya 2014/12/16 13:53
Dear readers,

Thank you for visiting my post!
I have a few questions regarding travelling to Japan. Please help me out if possible, thanks!

I will be travelling to Japan in Feb 2015 with my mother. I am very excited but I have a few concerns. To be exact, I will be staying near Shinjuku and Nagoya station.

Convenience:
1. I would like to buy a SIM card with 3G data so that I could use google maps or any apps that requires internet. I know that at the airport there are some stores that rent Wifi device, phone or something. What would you recommend?

2. Would there be anyone to assist at train stations for buying train tickets?

Safety:
1. What would be the recommended time to be back at hotel? Is it safe to stay out late?

Souvenir:
1. Do you have any recommendation for what I could buy for my friends and family? Item, food or snacks are all fine.

2. Is it alright to buy many amulets? I would like to give them to my friends and family. Is it available at all Shinto Shrines?

Sightseeing:
1. Do you have any personal recommendation? Some place which you would visit often but not a hotspot. I love beautiful scenery. Even river embankment catches my attention.

I guess that's it for now. Thank you!
by Zack Tng  

Re: Travelling to Tokyo and Nagoya 2014/12/16 22:42
My short comments.

Convenience:
Visit "Midori no Madoguchi" at a major train station.

Safety:
1. What would be the recommended time to be back at hotel? Is it safe to stay out late?
Many hotels operate in 24 hours.

Souvenir:
2. Is it alright to buy many amulets? I would like to give them to my friends and family. Is it available at all Shinto Shrines?
Maybe OK.

Sightseeing:
1. Do you have any personal recommendation? Some place which you would visit often but not a hotspot. I love beautiful scenery. Even river embankment catches my attention.
Mt Fuji from Omaezaki.
http://mohsho.image.coocan.jp/omaezaki00.html
by Luisjp rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling to Tokyo and Nagoya 2014/12/17 01:08
I can help answer some of your questions :)

Yes! If you are not comfortable with the machines you can ask the workers behind the counters next to the ticket gates to help you out. In both Nagoya and Tokyo you should be able to find a worker that can understand English. However, it might be a little harder in Nagoya to find an English speaker depending on where you are. The bigger train stations no problem, smaller subway stations you might need to write down your question for them to understand.

Safety:

In both Tokyo and Nagoya I've walked back home/to my hotel anywhere between 7pm - 2am and have had no problems or felt any danger. Of course, don't let your guard completely down, but in general you're pretty safe to walk around at night. Just Make sure you know where you are going and check when the last trains of the day are because they do not run 24 hours.

This is coming from a 5'4 American girl btw!

Souvenir:
1. Do you have any recommendation for what I could buy for my friends and family? Item, food or snacks are all fine.

Any Japanese snacks or candy will be good. I try to only get personalized gifts for my best friends and parents since prices can add up. Last time I bought 2 bags of green tea kit kat and handed them out to some friends and family members with postcards and everyone was happy about that.

Just to warn you, that can be an expensive idea. The nicest looking amulets can get pricey and the cheapest ones are pretty plain. Also different shrines and temples sell different styles so if you really want to do this don't buy all of them at one shrine because you might run into another design later on you like just as much.

Sightseeing:

For beautiful scenery in Nagoya -

Of course I recommend Nagoya castle, but go early!! For the first two or three hours the castle is pretty empty and it's nice to walk around and feel like you're by yourselves in such a pretty area. Also when you get to the top of the castle you can enjoy looking at Nagoya city from all directions. It can get crowded later on with tourists and groups which makes it less enjoyable so again go as soon as it opens.

Also I've heard the Higashiyama Zoo and Botanical Gardens are nice in Nagoya. Sadly I wasn't able to go last time due to a Typhoon but I've heard nothing but good things about it. I don't know what it will be like in the month of February but maybe it will be something to think about visiting :)

If you have any specific questions feel free to send me a private message!
by xbutterxcupx rate this post as useful

reply to this thread