Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it better to go Kyoto or Osaka first? 2014/12/16 18:37
We are planning to explore Kyoto, Osaka and Nara. We will be arriving Tokyo in Jan 2015 and from Tokyo travel by bullet train to Kyoto, stay a few days and to travel to Osaka for a few days and back to Tokyo. We have total 10 days in Japan. We wonder is this a good plan or any suggestion?
by Ivy Lim (guest)  

Re: Is it better to go Kyoto or Osaka first? 2014/12/16 18:42
Sounds good. And the order doesn't matter much, but I'd probably do Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka in that order and maybe skip Nara. Note that Kyoto and Osaka are close enough to each other that you can base yourself in one and make daytrips to the other.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Is it better to go Kyoto or Osaka first? 2014/12/16 22:15
If you have a JR Rail Pass it's only 14 minutes on the Shinkansen between Kyoto and Osaka.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Is it better to go Kyoto or Osaka first? 2014/12/16 22:30
Like the person said, Kyoto followed by Osaka.
There would be more variety of activities spread evenly
by Joshua Hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it better to go Kyoto or Osaka first? 2014/12/17 15:59
Thank you so much, I think really need to plan our trip so that we can cover most of the main attractions. Thanks again.
by Ivy Lim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it better to go Kyoto or Osaka first? 2014/12/17 16:26
10 days is enough to cover the main attractions if you discount Universal Studios, Disneyland, DisneySea, and spend little with shopping.

Osaka main attraction can be covered in two days and one night.
Tennoji, Sumiyoshi Taisha, Shin-Sekai in day one
Namba and everything around in night one
Osaka Castle with the garden, and Osaka station city in day two

Kyoto takes a while to complete due to its many attraction. Fortunately the city is small. If you are able to walk long distances at a moderate pace and discounting the mountainous areas of Mt Hiei and Kurama/Kibune you can finish the main attractions of Kyoto in three days. Maybe four.

Kinkakuji, Ryoanji, Ninnanji, Myoshinji, Toei Studio at day one
Fushimi Inari Shrine and Kyoto Station Mall at night one

Sanzenin and the surrounding area, silver pavillion, philosopher's path, Nanzenji, Heian Shrine, Yasaka Shrine, Kiyomizudera in day two
Yasaka (again) shrine, Gion, Potoncho in evening/night two

Kitano Tenmangu (opens early), Kamo Shrines, Nishiki market, Imperial Palace, Arashiyama at day and night three

If there is a day four, spend more time exploring the northern parts of Arashiyama up to Mount Takao (if in autumn) or spend some time in Kibune for river dinning (if in summer). If not, Saihoji plus nara or uji makes for a nice change of pace.

Tokyo requires not much time to complete not due to the lack of attractions, but after Osaka and Kyoto, Neon lights and gardens/temples aren't at the top of your list. In the event that they still are there is always wonderful Meiji Shrine, busy Asakusa, flashy kabukicho.

Odaiba's science museum has great technological showcase and Shinjuku station has skyscrapers to be seen.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it better to go Kyoto or Osaka first? 2014/12/17 18:33
I 100% recommend not skipping Nara. I've lived in Osaka and currently live in Nara. I have visited Kyoto many times.

Nara can be done in a day. If you are staying in central Osaka, it's an insanely easy route from Namba station in Osaka to Kintestsu Nara station. The best sites in Nara, including Todaiji Temple and Nara National Park (among others) are within walking distance. It would be a great day out, and would be a relief from the city-insanity of Tokyo and Osaka.

With regards to Kyoto, get ready for some fun on buses. All the best sites have annoying distances between them.

May I also suggest Kobe, also an easy trip away from Osaka or Kyoto. Added lots to your schedule may seem daunting when you are only staying for a short period, but I assure you, the trains in Japan will make this journeys seems somewhat trivial. You can see one hell of a lot in Kansai in a short period.

Hope you have a great trip :)
by shoopospsoos (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it better to go Kyoto or Osaka first? 2014/12/18 00:11
Thank you so so much for the advise and suggestions, really appreciate! I will try to map out the route. Regards to JR pass, I'm a bit confused as they have different trains and does the pass cover bus trip?

Re: Is it better to go Kyoto or Osaka first? 2014/12/18 03:09
"Regards to JR pass, I'm a bit confused as they have different trains and does the pass cover bus trip?"
You need to clarify your question here. Of course, Japan needs different trains to go to different cities and different express level.
If you are referring to different JR passes, like JR Japan pass, JR Kansai Pass, JR Wide Kansai Pass, etc; you need to start reading the guide about JR Pass: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357.html

If you are not planning to go anywhere else, paying for JR Japan pass is a bit too much, maybe JR Kansai Pass is more economical, eventhough it doesn't cover Tokyo-Kyoto Shinkansen. https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/travel-information/pass/pdf/guide_b...

Regarding busses, JR buses are always free if it is inside the coverage of the corresponding JR pass. Other private buses are usually not.
by YuruYuri rate this post as useful

Re: Is it better to go Kyoto or Osaka first? 2014/12/18 08:38
If you are going to do any shopping for food to hold off until you get to the JR station.

I just came back from 16 days in Japan, we spent time in Tokyo, Osaka - Kyoto (4 days) Hiroshima 2 days and let me tell you. It was not enough time.

I felt like we really rushed through some things. I'm from North America, so I was really in culture shock when I got to Japan, everything was new and exciting. Just as I was getting comfortable in one place it was time to leave. Even though we spent a considerable time in Japan, we didn't really get to do too many touristy things because I spent alot of time shopping. Worse is that I went to Inari shrine in Kyoto, bought a few things and carried it to Nijo castle and back to Osaka. The things I bought were also readily available in gift shops in the train station and just about everywhere. The only thing it didn't say was Kyoto but I wouldn't have minded if it didn't.

My suggestion to you is you save at least two or three days in Osaka alone. If you are going in January, they may still have some of the illuminations up.

I personally didn't think Osaka castle was that great. I was expecting to go into an actual castle but it was more of a muesuem inside. Alot of walking. I wouldn't go again.

Nijo Castle was nice, make sure you go when it's sunny. I got there at the end of the day and it was cloudy so it was dark inside as we walked around.

Check out the Hmeiji castle if you can. They are doing renovations on the castle until March next year but you can walk the grounds for 300 yen and you can walk in the surrounding buildings. Very worth it imo...

The sky building in Osaka was a rip off because it said there was a floating garden. We thought it meant we could see a garden but we were told you can just look down below (there's no garden). Lovers can buy a lock and inscribe their names on it. They have locks from 6 years ago so they don't cut them

Take a photo by the Gilco man in Dontonburi in Osaka. I loved the open concept market here, it was truly amazing.
by flonie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it better to go Kyoto or Osaka first? 2014/12/18 09:55
open concept market? what do you mean?

If you limit your shopping, there is enough time to do stuff. If you really have to shop for gifts and souveniers do so at a shinkansen train station or the airport.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it better to go Kyoto or Osaka first? 2014/12/18 22:53
Have never doubt the efficiency of the transportation system in Japan.I came from a very small country and never have the chance to travel from state to state. I'm just overwhelm by the complexity of the routes etc. Anyway we will trial and error with all your good advises. Thanks again

Re: Is it better to go Kyoto or Osaka first? 2014/12/19 09:10
I mean an open concept market like the stores are located outside but there is a roof covering the area, looks like a promenade.

by flonie (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread