Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to stay in Japan permanently 2014/12/17 20:54
I know this question has been on here for 1000000x times but I think in my case it is a different case.

I'm 25 years old,handicapped and have learning disability. My handicap is not connected to my disability as I got the handicap because of an accident many years ago. This is quite a long and personal story and I don't wanna dig deeper into that,but just so you guys know what's going on.

Because of my handicap I am not able to work so I have never had a job in my life. Chances that a company in Japan would hire me and grant me a visa are 0. I'm not having the best degree either,due to my learning disability.

I have visited Japan for a couple of times already. All of my visits were quite long,the last time I decided to extend my Temporary Visitor Status for another 90 days. I have just returned from Japan in September after doing so. I absolutely love it there. It sounds wrong saying it but it's my goal to live there for a couple of years at least. It sounds wrong because I know - or think - I am not gonna be able to make it.

Yeah I could apply for a Student Visa..But my learning disability isn't making it easy for me. I've looked for schools and asked for information. Let's say they give the Students 2 weeks for learning something,I would need more than the double amount of time. I couldn't keep up with the rest of the class and would fail in exams.

So far the only way to make it to Japan seems to get marry a Japanese citizen. But I don't wanna walk around Tokyo during my next visit to look for a guy who would possibly marry me. I'm not that type of person. I don't wanna get married head over heels just to stay in a country.

I'm really frustrated and hope you guys can help me. Maybe there is a way for me to stay in Japan? :-(
by Hedgehog (guest)  

Re: How to stay in Japan permanently 2014/12/18 11:28
It sounds wrong saying it but it's my goal to live there for a couple of years at least. It sounds wrong because I know - or think - I am not gonna be able to make it.

Staying a couple of years may totally be doable. It really just depends on money. What is your citizenship? Do you qualify for a working holiday visa?

Yeah I could apply for a Student Visa..But my learning disability isn't making it easy for me. I've looked for schools and asked for information. Let's say they give the Students 2 weeks for learning something,I would need more than the double amount of time. I couldn't keep up with the rest of the class and would fail in exams.

If you go to a language school you could get a student visa. Progress really doesn't matter as long as you attend classes as a full time student. The biggest obstacle is the cost.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: How to stay in Japan permanently 2014/12/18 18:29
Thanks that you took your time to read my post....

I've done my Working Holiday a few years ago. I applied for jobs but failed miserably.

I know a Student Visa,or the costs for the school,is very expensive. I could live in Japan for a while without a money source but not when I have to pay over 650,000 yen and more for something that isn't my rent or part of my living expenses.

I don't know if scholarships work with Japanese language schools but I wouldn't even know where to get a scholarship.....
by Hedgehog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to stay in Japan permanently 2014/12/19 08:52
Please don't apply for a scholarship; leave it for someone who is seriously interested in learning Japanese rather than using it solely as a vehicle to extend your stay in Japan.
by Seiko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to stay in Japan permanently 2014/12/19 09:00
Please don't apply for a scholarship; leave it for someone who is seriously interested in learning Japanese rather than using it solely as a vehicle to extend your stay in Japan.

Some people really think too highly of themselves... He will apply for a scholarship if he damn well please, and whether he gets it or not is up to the scholarship commitee, not to you.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: How to stay in Japan permanently 2014/12/19 10:39
He will apply for a scholarship
I think Hedgehog is a girl judging from this:

I don't wanna walk around Tokyo during my next visit to look for a guy who would possibly marry me.

Don't get me wrong, I am OK with gay union, I am just suggesting Hedgehog is probably a girl...

whether he gets it or not is up to the scholarship commitee
From what I have read there is no scholarship for studying at Japanese language schools. Scholarships are meant for real studies not for a hobby.
by Genki (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to stay in Japan permanently 2014/12/19 11:54
I'm a girl.
It looks like there is no way for me to stay in Japan for a few years? Because paying 650,000 in advance is quite tough,especially when other living expenses aren't included.....
by Hedgehog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to stay in Japan permanently 2014/12/19 13:09
Unfortunately countries do not consider 'I want to live there' a valid reason for granting residence status. Are you involved in any japanese activities? There are cultural studies visas that allow you to stay in Japan to study a traditional art, usually as a kind of unpaid apprentice or intern (for example, if you are a serious martial artist and your dojo has a connection you can get permission to train in Japan as long as you have a sponsor in the country.

other than that and the options discussed above I don't think there are any other options for staying long-term in Japan.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to stay in Japan permanently 2014/12/19 18:48
I don't know anything about your disability, but it might not be beyond the realm of possibility to work as an English teacher since you seemed to imply that you finished your degree. It might not hurt to at least give JET a go.

The only other thing I wanted to mention is that you don't necessarily have to marry a Japanese person to stay in Japan on someone else's sponsorship. You could marry a fellow foreigner who finds work in Japan and stay as a 'dependent.' I know it's not much of a solution, but if you did happen to fall in love with someone that shared your interest in living in Japan, they could bring you along even if they're not a citizen.
by Harimogura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to stay in Japan permanently 2014/12/19 23:25
I can deeply empathize with your strong desire to live in Japan. After all, we're on a Japan-centric forum. It's no surprise to us.

Going back to your topic, unless marriage with a local or a foreigner with access to a visa is on your cards, the only possible option to obtaining a resident card is like what the others have mentioned;

a) student visa as a language student (you must be willing to fork out at least 3 million Yen a year (about USD 30, 000) - that's fees + living allowance on a modest scale)

b) business visa (tough option, you need at least 5 million yen, a business plan, adequate Japanese language skills, physical office space in Japan and connections etc)

c) working visa (it is true a disability may affect your chances, but I wouldn't completely dismiss the possibility).

Anyway, life has many possibilities and unexpected moments. While it is good to look for a way to pursue your dreams of living in Japan, don't place all the cards on your hand just on this decision. Better to keep your options open as well. :)
by Murakami Seirin rate this post as useful

Re: How to stay in Japan permanently 2014/12/20 02:31
One also has to accept the fact they may not be able to live in Japan permanently. Resignation is often hard to deal with. Japan is not a very inviting place when it comes to permanent residence. You have to contribute to the community and standards for immigration are strict. It may not be what you're hoping to hear, but many people resign to the knowledge all they can do is visit Japan on a temporary basis.

I hope you do get what you're looking for. Best of luck.
by m (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread