Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nishiki Market 2014/12/18 11:38
As most of the stores will be closed on the 1st Jan, what about on the 31st Dec 2014 and 2nd Jan 2015?

Please advise so that I can re-schedule my plan.

Many thanks
by Eugene Kwan (guest)  

Re: Nishiki Market 2014/12/19 00:58
suggest you ask them (‹ž“s‹ÑŽsꤓXŠXU‹»‘g‡) by email at
nkof@bell.ocn.ne.jp

(info from
http://www.kyoto-nishiki.or.jp/contact.html)
by tedrabjg rate this post as useful

Re: Nishiki Market 2014/12/19 06:03
I don't know that I would reschedule for it. It is just food which you generally cant take out of the country, and cheap stuff mainly from China. I spent 2 hours there (1 1/2 of which was trying to find my way out) and didn't buy anything.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nishiki Market 2014/12/19 09:39
1.5 to get out? It is a straight road. Sure, it branches off but on one end Teramachi and the other Ippudo Ramen!

But I agree, There is not much to buy at nishiki if you are looking at stuff to bring back home. If you have a kitchen at your lodging and want to try cooking something while in Japan... then it is reasonable to go there. If not, there really is not much of a reason to go.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nishiki Market 2014/12/19 13:36
I'm thinking of the one that has like 5 branches off it, all under cover. We got hopelessly lost and it was just full of crap aside from the food which would as you say have been great if we lived there and could cook.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nishiki Market 2014/12/19 23:45
It's hard for me to see the appeal of Nishiki Market to people from abroad. It has history, but it branches off the shopping arcades, so it's not particularly atmospheric and as everyone else has said, it's not a place for shopping. It just has small foodstuffs. I cannot imagine spending an hour there. To me, 10-15 minutes is more than enough time to see what it's like and make your way to someplace more interesting.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Nishiki Market 2014/12/20 04:37
I'm not going to Nishiki to buy, I go to see, to feel, to listen ... and of course to photograph kyoto cuisine:http://www.soleilrouge.org/nishiki-dori-la-cuisine-de-kyoto
by fuchan29 rate this post as useful

Re: Nishiki Market 2014/12/20 13:13
Is nishiki have a lot of choice for lunch?i am planning to go there from kiyomizu dera to have lunch only and not planning for shopping.after then i ahead to kinkakuji
by red (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nishiki Market 2014/12/20 13:26
Nishiki Market is fun for anyone who's interested in food, although you can easily see everything in a half hour. You can also combine it with a visit to the Daimaru Department store food floor, located right at the western end of the market.

The market itself doesn't have that much in the way of dining spots, but if you wander around the streets just west of the market you should find lots of choices. Or if you don't want to wander around in the cold, go to the Mosaic complex right above Kawaramachi station for lots more choices. I particularly like Harvest (http://www.bento.com/kansai/rev/7188.html ), which does a nice natural-foods buffet and is open all afternoon.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Nishiki Market 2014/12/21 08:55
Personally Nishiki Market is one of my favorite spots in Kyoto so I'm a little appalled by some of the comments in this thread ;) Btw, the market is not so much for buying souvenirs or food to take home and cook (although there are some popular shops along the way like the Aritsugu knife shop), but to experience the atmosphere of the market and buy small things to eat along the way. Usually takes about an hour end to end if you don't stop a lot, if not just for the crowds. There are several restaurants too if you want to sit rather that eat while wandering. I'd recommend checking out the oyster grill at the west end of the lane.

As most of the stores will be closed on the 1st Jan, what about on the 31st Dec 2014 and 2nd Jan 2015?

I don't know about most, but more like a noticeable number will be closed that day. You can check individual store hours here (Japanese only):

http://www.kyoto-nishiki.or.jp/stores/index.html

Note that a fair percentage of stores have their regular holiday on Wednesday, so I'd probably go the 2nd rather than the 31st or 1st if the choice is only between those days.

Is nishiki have a lot of choice for lunch?i am planning to go there from kiyomizu dera to have lunch only and not planning for shopping.after then i ahead to kinkakuji

Timewise, I think it might be too much of a detour just for lunch.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread