Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gluten Free at McDonalds 2014/12/18 18:32
Hi,

I'll be visiting Japan for 2 weeks in April(mainly Kyoto and Tokyo). I have celliac disease, which requires a Gluten-free diet and I understood it is quite difficult in Japan.
When travelling, I used to eat in Mc Donalds since it is considered safe to eat its hamburger, chicken breast and french potatoes.
Is McDonalds in Japan considered GF safe when eating without buns?

Thank Yo
by liatkorman (guest)  

Re: Gluten Free at McDonalds 2014/12/19 11:51
I think that there is no menu of gluten-free to McDonald's.
Seems there is a menu of gluten-free overseas.
Since rice burger Mos Burger is a rice, wheat flour is not using.
Kakiage burger because it is tempura, might be better to not eat.
The other, if you is not a weak, if buckwheat or rice meal, wheat flour is not used.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Gluten Free at McDonalds 2014/12/19 12:45
My mother is coeliac although can ingest trace amounts or small amounts of gluten without adverse reaction. I have a friend however who has a severe reaction leading to hospitalisation. If you're the later, it might even be worth staying in places with access to your own cooking facilities and making rice dishes. That being said, Japan has plenty of gluten free options you just have to do your research. Let's be honest, McDonalds is boring. As Haro said, there are buckwheat soba noodles, but a fair few places add wheat flour as pure buckwheat (which is gluten free) is harder to cook and more expensive. There is a place in tokyo that is famous for its 100% buckwheat soba but I can't remember the name of the restaurant, I will look it up and get back to you. You should be fine with don meals that aren't breaded or crumbed. Eg: Unadon, Gyuudon, Chirashi Zushi. You also should be fine with shabu shabu, sukiyaki and yakiniku as long as you don't order noodles.
by chasingme (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Gluten Free at McDonalds 2014/12/19 12:55
Also I should mention that soy sauce does contain gluten so as I mentioned earlier it does depend on how severe your reaction is as to whether you can and should consume it. you can have things like sushi and yakiniku without having to have soy sauce though so you have options other than just fast food. Convenience stores also sell plain rice balls without filling if you need snacks that are definitely gluten free.
by chasingme (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Gluten Free at McDonalds 2014/12/19 15:30
I'm sorry.
Buckwheat seems to use the flour to connect.
Towari soba(Ten percent buckwheat,十割そば・十割蕎麦) is not using.
However, ten percent buckwheat's luxury.
Here seems to be to eat cheap comparatively.
http://bikyo15.com/?cat=5

Re: Gluten Free at McDonalds 2014/12/19 15:41
Although it is guidance of wheat allergy
Although soy sauce has displayed wheat raw materials, since the the finished sauce protein wheat does not remain, is not essentially necessary to remove the sauce in wheat allergy.
It is so.
Although near the tsuyu(soup,つゆ) contains soy sauce, it seems okay to not have to worry about.
In addition, without the tsuyu, it might be nice to eat with shio(salt,しお・塩).
Maybe, makes out to be ask.
Depending on the store, there is also a store that salt comes out.

Re: Gluten Free at McDonalds 2014/12/19 15:55
If you drink alcohol with soba shop, it is recommended sake.
It is made of rice.
Beer and mugi(barley) shochu that contains the barley.

Re: Gluten Free at McDonalds 2015/11/13 12:39
Hi,There is a nice gluten-free restaurant guide in Japan.
http://glutenfree-restaurant.com/ This is pretty useful!
by gogoperfume rate this post as useful

reply to this thread