Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Luggage on bullet trains 2014/12/19 07:34
are big suitcases (size 72-78 cm) allowed on bullet trains. and how manu pieces one person is allowed to take on these trains.
by Guddi56  

Re: Luggage on bullet trains 2014/12/19 10:28
Yep, plenty of room.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage on bullet trains 2014/12/19 12:19
There are no actual 'luggage racks or designated space' for 'suit cases' on the Shinkansen (Bullet Trains). There ar 'small' overhead racks for small packages and bags etc. but there is enough space behind the last row of seats of each carriage. As most travel on the Shinkansen is by 'Business men' with small brief cases, usually the space behind the last row of seats is empty. You CAN reserve your seat on all Shinkansen, so I usually request the last row seats so that I can place my luggage behind my seat. I have just returned from Japan (Nov. - Dec.) and travelled from Shinagawa to Osaka, then Kyoto and then Kyoto to Tokyo, there was plenty of room for my large suit case behind the last seats. I must say that reserving the 'seat' was a good idea and I will always do this for future trips early next year. Enjoy.
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage on bullet trains 2014/12/19 12:33
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/cars-kitahefu/e/13cbe10dae21b2f122cbea3cd740f534
All Shinkansen are few shaking.
If pretty heavy cannot bring up yrself help to near passenger or conductor.
by ETF (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage on bullet trains 2014/12/19 13:17
I've travelled countless times on the Shinkansen and you should have no trouble getting your luggage on the train.

However - if you are a large group with lots of luggage this will be a big problem then.

Hint - each carriage tends to have 2 doors. Enter the second door as this is the easiest place for you to put your luggage (behind the last row of seats)

There is also a chance that you might be able to fit your bags in the luggage racks.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage on bullet trains service, 2014/12/19 18:35
Consider smaller luggage to fit in overhead racks: and also consider sending luggage by Takuhaibin so you only have carry on with you
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage on bullet trains 2014/12/19 20:39
Some of the information on this older thread may be useful:

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+119417

Cheers.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage on bullet trains 2014/12/19 20:52
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage on bullet trains 2014/12/20 04:04
Should be no problem. I've seen musicians bring their huge instruments onto the Shinkansen just fine.
by yozakura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage on bullet trains 2014/12/22 10:20
thank you all for your help.
by Guddi56 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread