Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

"they" in japanese 2014/12/20 07:27
how would you say "they" in japanese naturally, because their is "they" for group of males and their is "they" for a group of females but how would you say they is it was males and females?
by Kisukeyo  

Re: 2014/12/20 12:07
they
males → 彼ら(かれら),彼達(かれたち)
females →彼女達(かのじょたち), 彼女ら(かのじょら)
Personally, it is often to the left of the words.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: 2014/12/20 12:22
I know that Haro, but what if it was a group of males and females
by Kisukeyo rate this post as useful

Re: 2014/12/20 13:00
In that case, roughly I referred to by there are more number of people.
However, if it contains a person of his acquaintances and relationships, or if there are key players towards the small number may also be referred to in there gender.
For example, a musician
Dreams Come True
Currently, men 1+ 1 female, was previously male 2+ 1 female.
In this case, the men are often, because the vocals are women, I think a case called 彼女達 often.
Male 4+ woman 1 But, if women of my friends and acquaintances, even or say 彼女達.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: 2014/12/20 13:07
彼ら is a representative word of 彼ら and 彼女ら.
彼女ら is used in the case of a woman-only group.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2014/12/20 14:03
Thank you Ken
by Kisukeyo rate this post as useful

Re: 2014/12/23 02:34
I'd normally use "ano hitotachi" for any group of people, males, females or mixed.
"karera", "kanojyora" is a little uptight/formal.
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2014/12/26 12:41
We Japanese usually do not care about targets' genders. Our word selection are affected by a talker's gender and others. "ano hitotachi" sounds to me that the talker would be a woman and might belong to a bit higher society. I, as a man, used to say "aitsura", "yatsura", and so on in a rather informal way. "karera" and "karojora" might be too much overused to translate western languages into Japanese.
by Luisjp rate this post as useful

reply to this thread