Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travelling in Tokyo and the Kansai region 2014/12/20 18:27
Hi everyone,

First of all, I'll be arriving in Japan on the 28th of December and will be leaving on the 4th of January. Due to the high demand, I've been forced to book hotels without the formulation of a solid itinerary. Despite this, I know for sure that I will be visiting Nara, Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe, and Tokyo, staying in Tokyo for the first three nights, Kyoto for the next three and lastly back to the same hotel in Tokyo for the final night. As is known, planning an overseas trip anywhere is no easy feat, specifically with such time restrictions. In saying this, I feel quite overwhelmed by the transportation system and all the extensive travel options. I'm trying my best to stick to the most inexpensive options, though. My wording is a little off, but can someone please provide me with some advice on the cheapest package for travelling that caters to the aforementioned destinations? When I say this I mean via railway, subway, buses etc. After browsing this website and a number of other blogs, I was considering purchasing the 7 day JR pass which I understand would be particularly appropriate for the round trip bullet train from Tokyo to the Kyoto. But I know I will also require another travel option for the services that aren't provided by JR locally. Such as perhaps subways etc. which I know that I will have to eventually use. Perhaps maybe a suica card or something similar? I am looking for such that would facilitate easy travel within both the Kansai region and Tokyo paired with the JR pass. Also, I do not mind utilizing a variety of options, however would prefer the cheapest. This is also my first time visiting Japan and I must admit that I'm a little apprehensive about planning the trip. Any tips and info would be very much appreciated. Thanks for your time in advance.
by Christine (guest)  

Re: Travelling in Tokyo and the Kansai region 2014/12/21 13:48
Which airport in/out?

JR-Pass(7d) too much/waste.
by idqm (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling in Tokyo and the Kansai region 2014/12/21 14:12
From your description, I am assuming you are flying into Narita and flying out of Narita again, correct?

And probably you are traveling to Kyoto/Osaka on the... 31st, and returning to Tokyo on the 3rd?

If you already bought your 7-day JR Pass (voucher, that is, which you need to buy ahead of your arrival in Japan), as soon as you arrive in Japan, get the voucher exchanged into the actual pass, and book your return JR Shinkansen trains immediately (if you can). YOur travel dates coincide with the rush out of Tokyo (people travel to their home town for the New Year's days) then back.

No worries about local transport - you can buy a prepaid card (either Suica or Pasmo would do) and use it as needed, mainly in Tokyo I guess (mainly subaways).

Kyoto - Nara can be done via JR, so can Kyoto - Osaka - Kobe. Within Kyoto, yes you might need to pay for buses/subways.

Considering the very limited number of days in Nara, Kyoto, Osaka, and Kobe (altogether 3 days?) I would limit it to Nara and Kyoto (or even only Kyoto) if you prefer to see traditional Japan, and Kyoto and Osaka if you want to see a bit of modern part of Kansai too. Expect all shrines and temples in Kyoto/Nara to be crowded. I might just keep it to Kyoto only.

There is a page about New Year's days travel, somewhere in "Travel" section, please have a look.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling in Tokyo and the Kansai region 2014/12/21 17:17
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread