Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Willer Express Cocoon seats? 2014/12/21 05:26
Has anyone ridden an overnight bus in one of the cocoon seats? How was it? I am trying to decide if that's how I want to travel from Tokyo to Kyoto.
by noterin  

Re: Willer Express Cocoon seats? 2014/12/21 11:21
I rode Cocoon from Osaka to Tokyo overnight and it was the best journey of my entire holiday.
I usually don't sleep in any mode of transport but I managed to nod off for at least half the journey after watching a movie.
If you have the money to spare, then I would recommend it.
by nimotsu (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Willer Express Cocoon seats? 2014/12/21 14:49
Thanks for the review. I'm a light sleeper, especially on moving vehicles. I'm heartened that you found some sleep on the way. I like the idea of combining transport and accomodation. Shinkansen fare plus hotel rate gives me sticker shock. I hope to buy my ticket early to get the best rate.
by noterin rate this post as useful

Re: Willer Express Cocoon seats? 2015/1/3 06:16
Booked it. With an early bird discount and the exchange rate, the bus trip costs about 60 USD. Can't wait to try it out!

Re: Willer Express Cocoon seats? 2016/10/1 05:26
In case anyone wanted to know, two years later, yes, I did take the overnight bus. I made it with a handful of minutes to spare (due to not being able to figure out where the locker bay I had stowed my stuff in Shinjuku Station was located in any sort of timely manner. (There were tears. A shopkeeper took pity on me and helped me out.)

It was a great price, and if you're a good sleeper, I'd recommend it. The bus rolled into Kyoto shortly after sunrise. Being a terrible sleeper and not a morning person, in retrospect I should have spent the money to take the shinkansen and booked a hotel instead of trying to roll transportation and lodging into one overnight bus trip. (I tried to sleep it off in a manga cafe - didn't really work.)

As far as the Cocoon bus went, the individual pods were nice. One guy even had his portable CPAP on board. I could have used a bit more leg and hip room. (I'm 5'7" and was about 160 lbs then.)

reply to this thread