Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo on late November to early December 2014/12/21 15:06
Is Tokyo a suitable city to visit during late Nov to early Dec??
by karthik (guest)  

Re: Tokyo on late November to early December 2014/12/21 15:41

Perfect timing for kouyou .
by lostintranslation (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo on late November to early December 2014/12/21 15:53
The weather was nice (not too cold in the morning but it could get cold at night...

The Christmas displays are up and they are beautiful!
by flonie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo on late November to early December 2014/12/21 19:48
Is that suitable time to go to the shopping complex?

by karthik (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo on late November to early December 2014/12/23 00:34
Tokyo is a great choice for holiday illuminations and shopping, so yes to your question about shopping complexes. Depending on where you're coming from, the weather might be a bit chilly but the shopping malls will keep you warm for hours if you plan on spending that much time there. Just remember to bring a scarf and some gloves if you plan on visiting the numerous sites for illuminations.
by yozakura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo on late November to early December 2014/12/23 03:06
Shopping malls, are you referring to the dept stores? When I was in Japan I only saw outdoor stores with an overhead cover or dept stores. I didn't see any malls like in North America.

Re: Tokyo on late November to early December 2014/12/23 03:38
@flonie: Have you been to Odaiba or Lalaport in Toyosu? Those are malls.

Re: Tokyo on late November to early December 2014/12/23 10:20
North American malls are mostly unique to North Amercia.

In most other parts of the world, malls are multi storied and displays various brands and sells a large variety of products.

So, YES. They are different.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo on late November to early December 2014/12/23 11:49
jh,

Can you clarify? Your post seems to contradict itself.

For what it's worth, Japan has both department stores and various types of shopping malls and shopping complexes. It depends more on where you are. The cities tend to have more department stores while the malls are not usually as centrally located (due to their space requirements).
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo on late November to early December 2014/12/23 14:25
hi (to the person who posted this thread):

very much yes!! perfect time - you may see some autumn colours, but weather is very cooling.

do make sure you bring enough clothing. also airfares/hotels may be more expensive, places may be more crowded. other than that good choice
by lost_traveller (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo on late November to early December 2014/12/23 23:22
@jh In my part of the States, shopping malls are multi-story. The types of malls that aren't are strip malls.

Re: Tokyo on late November to early December 2014/12/24 02:18
Lost_traveller

I thought when I went in Nov-Dec it was low season for traveling in Japan. When are the hotels more affordable?

Re: Tokyo on late November to early December 2014/12/24 08:45
I thought when I went in Nov-Dec it was low season for traveling in Japan. When are the hotels more affordable?

On the contrary, in some areas it can be one of the busiest seasons due to the autumn colors. Kyoto in particular gets completely sold out around this time.

Re: Tokyo on late November to early December 2014/12/24 09:51
Alright.
I apologise for my generalisation of North America. I've only been to about seven cities.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo on late November to early December 2014/12/24 13:39
I thought Kyoto was sold out (when I was booking in september) because I was there when it was thanksgiving. Now that you note, it does make sense as the leaves were changing color. However, I found that when we were there that weekend there were still alot of leaves that hadn't changed. Even when I was in Chichibu on the train, not all the leaves had changed and this was Dec 3rd.

When is it the low season when traveling to Kyoto? I was only in Kyoto for the day and really in reality less than 12 hours. Went to Inari Shrine (is it really 1 million steps to the top?) and Nijo Castle. Do people live in Inari Shrine? I noticed alot of the people that ran the shops were older, do they have to walk up all those steps everyday?

Spent too much time shopping in Osaka, would have liked to see the other sites.

Re: Tokyo on late November to early December 2014/12/24 14:37
I thought Kyoto was sold out (when I was booking in september) because I was there when it was thanksgiving.

It's the domestic travellers that really make it busy.

However, I found that when we were there that weekend there were still alot of leaves that hadn't changed. Even when I was in Chichibu on the train, not all the leaves had changed and this was Dec 3rd.

Yup, the season goes into late December in some areas.

When is it the low season when traveling to Kyoto?

Kyoto is pretty much always busy, but it is especially packed during autumn and cherry blossom seasons. Summer vacation too. Outside of those times its busy but maybe not too busy.

Went to Inari Shrine (is it really 1 million steps to the top?)

No

Do people live in Inari Shrine? I noticed alot of the people that ran the shops were older, do they have to walk up all those steps everyday?

I don't think they live on the mountain, but there may be a few that do.

reply to this thread