Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Itinerary - Advice on best order 2014/12/22 06:46
Hi there, I need some help with our itinerary. We want to stop in these places on our 15 night trip to Japan in May 2015, but I cant seem to work out the best order in which to do it as to save travel time and maximise the most in the right places.

Please let me know your thoughts. I would be most grateful!

Tokyo (we fly in and out of here)
Hakone
Hiroshima
Koya-san
Kyoto
Magome - Tsumago hike
Matsumoto
Tarakagawa Onsen

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!
by Louise (guest)  

Re: Japan Itinerary - Advice on best order 2014/12/22 10:42
Gooday. What I do with a trip like that is I draw a big map of the part of Japan I'm going to on a whiteboard then juggle with options. The simplest route is always the best for me, and I don't like backtracking even if it saves time because I like to see something new each journey.

With yours, I'd probably work in the order of :

Tokyo - Hakone - Kyoto - Koya - Hiroshima - Tsumago (via Nagoya) - Matsumoto - Tarakagawa Onsen (probably via Tokyo).

Now I would mention I've been through the Alps that time earlier this year, Kamikouchi was brilliant (still snow in the peaks and quite cool) which is a nice side trip from Matsumoto, and Karuizawa was very nice too, so it makes for a good stopover on the way back to Tokyo from Matsumoto (via Nagano). Tsumago wasn't anywhere near as significant as I had built it up in my mind, actually it was a bit of a let down. So go there thinking it will be pretty meh, and you'll probably enjoy it.

by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Itinerary - Advice on best order 2014/12/23 02:00
Brilliant, thanks so much for the advice. I was worrying that after looking the transport options we were going to try and pack too much in. But we really want to see as much as we can as this could be the only time that we ever get to go.

thanks again
by Louise (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Itinerary - Advice on best order 2014/12/23 02:45
I'm with @Lazy Pious on this. I love the Magome to Tsumago walk it is a nice break but I wouldn't do it on my first trip. How about staying in Kyoto an extra night and doing a day trip taking in Nara http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2165.html and the Fushimi Inari Taisha http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3915.html
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Itinerary - Advice on best order 2014/12/23 04:05
It is much easier to go to Koya from Osaka than Kyoto.
With that in mind I would go to Osaka - Koya-Osaka-Hiroshima-Kyoto, etc.
You might also want to stop at Himeji to see the most beautiful castle in Japan (the world?).
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Itinerary - Advice on best order 2014/12/23 06:32
arghhhh thanks for the advice guys, but you're adding to my list of more amazing places we must see in Japan and the decision harder :-) What a luxury!!!

Is Hakone worth it? We only plan to spend a night there on route to the next destination, but it looks tricky to move on from there to many of the next places on our list. Would you go? The weather guides estimate around a 25% chance of seeing Fuji at that time of year.

Also do you know if it is possible to get from Taragawa Onsen and Matsumoto without having to go back to Tokyo etc?

Sorry for all the questions. Im a well travelled lass, but finding the planning for this trip slightly harder.

Thanks!
by louise (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Itinerary - Advice on best order 2014/12/23 06:49
I've never been to Takawagawa Onsen though I looked online and I think that might be on our next trip! Unfortunately it looks to me that you have to go via Tokyo, but if you search through hyperdia you might find a different route.

Matsumoto isn't such an interesting town. I've stayed a few nights in different trips, but even for me it was a little quiet. The castle is the best I've seen (grounds uninteresting, but the weapon collection is awesome) but if you want a nice castle with lovely grounds and views, I'd rather Hikone which is a pretty little town as well, and pretty much still on the shinkansen route, and it is a nice place to stay if you splurge on a ryokan over lake Biwa. Just a suggestion...
But back to your other question, I've stayed in Hakone a few nights, and really I thought it was nice but not awesome. What was awesome was the place we stayed - Lalaca at Gora, and I'd go back just for that, but there isn't really that much to see and the water stinks like sulphur which then gets through your clothes, if you don't mind your luggage smelling like a big fart everytime you open it, then Hakone might be for you. I far preferred places like Enoshima/Kamakura which is easier to get to (stayed at Iwamotoro Honkan, which had views of Fuji if you wake up early enough) or Takayama, or even Nikko which is probably a better fit for your trip - we stayed at Hotel Kanaya, check it out in all of its 100 year old awesomeness.

All of that said, your current trip looks great.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Itinerary - Advice on best order 2014/12/23 07:06
brilliant, your advice has been invaluable! I'll get onto those recommendations tomorrow. Thanks so much again and also for the accommodation details too. Always great to go on a recommendation,

We cant wait now!
by louise (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Itinerary - Advice on best order 2014/12/23 09:27
Is Hakone worth it? We only plan to spend a night there on route to the next destination, but it looks tricky to move on from there to many of the next places on our list. Would you go? The weather guides estimate around a 25% chance of seeing Fuji at that time of year.

It depends. It's not really on the way anywhere, and more of a detour than anything. Plus you have to be pretty lucky to see Mount Fuji as there are so many factors working against you getting a good view. Otherwise, it's a beautiful nature/sightseeing spot with some great hot springs (regardless of what Lazy Pious says ;)

Also do you know if it is possible to get from Taragawa Onsen and Matsumoto without having to go back to Tokyo etc?

You don't have to go all the way back to Tokyo. You can transfer trains at Takasaki instead. Still takes about 3 hours though.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Hakone 2014/12/23 14:05
As others have said Tamagawa Onsen is far from where you will be. For a similar experience (Hot steam, etc.) Hakone is the place. Using an Odakyu Railway's Hakone Free Pass you can do the whole trip in one day from Tokyo. Your JR Pass will get you by Shinkansen to Odawara and you can start from there.
Here is a slideshow of most of the round trip. After the boat across Lake Ashi you take a bus back to Odawara.
http://dickh.zenfolio.com/p340096673 Click Slideshow, upper right.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Itinerary - Advice on best order 2014/12/23 14:22
I just realized that everyone seems to using a different onsen name. For the record, my comments are in regards to Takaragawa Onsen in Gunma Prefecture. Louise, can you clarify which one you want to go to?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Itinerary - Advice on best order 2014/12/23 14:31
Hi Louise,

[please consider luggage in your trip!]

I suggest bringing your luggage along. start your tokyo itinerary in the front of your trip.

staying in tokyo, buy a hakone free pass/join a tour to hakone .

after that, do take shinkansen to kyoto. use kyoto as a base to Koya/Osaka/Hiroshima. pretty accessible to hiroshima there!

after you are done with chugokuu/kinki region - proceed on until you reach Matsumoto. there, consider taking Limited express Asuza to Tokyo.

by kawaii good help (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread