Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

New years greeting call in Japanese 2014/12/22 16:23
I am living in an apartment and a friend of my parents (a Japanese lady) is acting as my guarantor. I have not spoken to her since April this year.

I wish to call her on New Years to wish her happy New Year. What is the standard method of calling someone of higher status?

Specifically, what do I say when she picks up the phone, and what do I say before I hang up?
by Bob (guest)  

Re: New years greeting call in Japanese 2014/12/22 18:04
Have your parents sent her a note of thanks or some kind of gift when she became your guarantor? The reason I ask is, depending on the type of guarantor, it might be considered quite a big responsibility - I am just wondering if just making a phone call is considered appropriate. Do you have her address so that you can send her a greeting/New Year's card?

If you want to try calling, how fluent are you in the Japanese language? (This is just to assess how much "keigo" you can comfortably deal with.)

- XX-sama no o-taku desu ka. (Is this XX's residence?)
Hoshounin wo shite itadaite iru Bob desu. (This is Bob, for whom you're kindly serving as the guarantor.)
Gobusata shite orimasu. (It has been some time since I last saw you.)
O-genki desu ka. (How are you doing?)
etc.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: New years greeting call in Japanese 2014/12/24 20:59
Akemashite omedetou gozaimasu. (a typical greeting)
Bob desu. (This is Bob.)
(conversation)
Kotoshimo yoi otoshiwo. (I wish you a happy year.)
by Luisjp rate this post as useful

reply to this thread