Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

kanazawa to tokyo by train 2014/12/25 00:35
hi...
1 am planning to visit kanazawa during my Japan trip this year. The trip would be Osaka-Kanazawa-Tokyo. Is there a direct train to Tokyo from Kanazawa? I have tried searching via google map. It seems that the suggested route taking too much time (around 8 hours, because I have to going back to Osaka first, then board a train to Tokyo.)
by umi (guest)  

Re: kanazawa to tokyo by train 2014/12/25 08:55
What time of year are you travelling? There is a prominent article on the home page of this guide about the new Shinkansen from Kanazawa to Tokyo, starting in mid-March
http://www.japan-guide.com/news/0033.html
Timetables will be released soon on www.hyperdia.com
If you are travelling before then, use www.hyperdia.com
You have 2 options: Kanakzawa to Echigo Yuzawa, then Shinkansen to Tokyo OR Kanazawa to Maibara, and Shinkansen to Tokyo.
You do NOT have to go all the way back to Osaka at all.
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa to tokyo by train 2014/12/25 10:02
No direct train now.
Need one transfer at Nagaoka or Echigo-yuzawa then take Joetsu shinkansen
or back to Maibara(no need Osaka) then take Tokaido Shinkansen.
http://www.anacrowneplaza-kanazawa.jp/lang/english/access/images/map01...
http://www.kanazawa-tourism.com/eng/info/info5.php
by Nmoi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa to tokyo by train 2014/12/25 11:38
Hi..thanks for the replies.
My trip would be in November. Im planning the itinerary for now.
by umi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa to tokyo by train 2014/12/25 11:39
Opss...what I meant is November 2015.
by umi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa to tokyo by train 2014/12/25 11:45
"This year" still means 2014. ;) There are direct trains from Osaka to Kanazawa (mostly the Thunderbird limited express) and also from Kanazawa to Tokyo (Hokuriku Shinkansen) but only starting next March, so most search engines don't display it yet.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa to tokyo by train 2014/12/29 01:59
We did the Kanazawa - Tokyo route via Echigo Yuzawa last trip. It's a good trip, and it runs along the coast at first (left hand side), then runs into lovely valley and mountain scenery. There's a small supplement to pay if you're using a JR Pass.
Echigo Yuzawa is a great region (Google the trienniale or look at the pages on this website for more). There's also an amazing sake tasting place (Google has a goof blog with photos) IN the actual station.
We spent 3 days in the region with a hire car. Stayed at a fabulous ryokan, and also at The House Of Light -which was a highlight of 6 trips to Japan.
Hyperdia will answer all your train queries.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa to tokyo by train 2014/12/29 08:33

Opss...what I meant is November 2015.

November 2015 ? Should not be a problem, shinkansen will take you to Tokyo in less than 3 hours.
by lostintranslation (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa to tokyo by train 2014/12/29 10:02
Hyperdia should have updated timetables by mid January 2015 apparently.
So wait until then, and keep checking: once the timetables are loaded, you will be able to work out your plans.
and yes, by November 2015, you will be definitely able to use the Hokuriki Shinkansen direct from Kanazawa to Tokyo.
Have fun!
by AusTF rate this post as useful

reply to this thread