Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Miyajima Grand Hotel Ariomoto Ryokan 2015/1/2 16:28
Hi,

I am trying to look at prices for a Ryokan in Miyajima but it seems like this Ryokan is sold out for the rest of the year except for jan to march. Is this place that popular that it's booked for the rest of the year or is there something wrong with their website?

I searched with expedia and also didn't have any luck.

If I plan on going to Japan in the summer (July or August) do I absolutely need to start booking now or will it be too late?

by sillyhead  

Re: Miyajima Grand Hotel Ariomoto Ryokan 2015/1/2 18:14
Reservations typically open 3 months in advance. To book for July-August, wait until April-May.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima Grand Hotel Ariomoto Ryokan 2015/1/2 19:19
But keep in mind that some hotel can be already fully booked by tour operator, especially in very touristic area like Kyoto or Miyajima.

I don't think that it will be the case for summer, but in April and November, it would be better to contact the hotel to make advance reservation if possible.

I reserved practically a year before at Miyajima Morinoyado for a November stay in 2011
by PBY rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima Grand Hotel Ariomoto Ryokan 2015/1/3 05:39
One year in advance? Oh no!

I sent an email to the hotel but there was no reply as of yet. Can anyone tell me if the summertime is a bad time to go to a Ryokan since it's hot and Ryokan's don't have air conditioning. Is it uncomfortable sitting in a warm bath when it's so hot?
by flonie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima Grand Hotel Ariomoto Ryokan 2015/1/3 09:00
Can anyone tell me if the summertime is a bad time to go to a Ryokan since it's hot and Ryokan's don't have air conditioning.

First of all: almost all ryokan have air conditioning! Secondly, ryokan are enjoyable around the year.

But summer is generally not the most pleasant time for travel in a lot of parts of Japan because of the humid heat.

Is it uncomfortable sitting in a warm bath when it's so hot?

No, a bath is surprisingly refreshing even in summer. Not as good as during the colder seasons, though.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima Grand Hotel Ariomoto Ryokan 2015/1/3 09:05
Sorry to ask this again but if it is so humid in many parts of Japan, many tourists still go?

I didn't know ryokan has air conditioning, thank you for telling me!

Silly question but do they change the water for private baths, or do they just reuse it? Is there something to keep the water heated at all times for the private baths?
by flonie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima Grand Hotel Ariomoto Ryokan 2015/1/3 09:13
Sorry to ask this again but if it is so humid in many parts of Japan, many tourists still go?

Yes, because many people across the world have prolonged holidays in summer, summer is also a popular time to visit Japan. Many tourists "flee" into higher elevations, Hokkaido or to the beaches. But many others will simply deal with the heat and enjoy Japan's attractions while sweating.

I didn't know ryokan has air conditioning, thank you for telling me!

There is barely any building in Japan without air conditioning these days.

Silly question but do they change the water for private baths

Yes, they drain the water.

or do they just reuse it?

Many households reuse the water for a couple days by reheating it.

Is there something to keep the water heated at all times for the private baths?

Yes, modern bath tubs come with a built-in heater that can keep the water warm or reheat it.

Re: Miyajima Grand Hotel Ariomoto Ryokan 2015/1/3 14:35
Does parts of Japan have smog days?

In Canada, when it is humid and there are smog days it makes it diffiult to breath and be outside. Is this what I can expect from Japan?

Also, I noticed in shopping arcades like Dotoburi, there were no public washrooms, except for ones in the restaurant. Did I miss them?
by sillyhead rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima Grand Hotel Ariomoto Ryokan 2015/1/3 14:41
Does parts of Japan have smog days?

Of course, there is a certain smog level in the big cities. And sometimes considerable amounts of pm2.5 are blown from China across the sea to Japan. But smog does not pose a problem to the average, healthy traveler.

In Canada, when it is humid and there are smog days it makes it diffiult to breath and be outside. Is this what I can expect from Japan?

The problem with hot summers in Japan is mainly that you get sweaty and tired easily. And if you don't drink enough, you may get dehydrated. It will not normally cause breathing problems.

Also, I noticed in shopping arcades like Dotoburi, there were no public washrooms, except for ones in the restaurant. Did I miss them?

Free, public toilets are found relatively easily across Japan's cities, for example in shopping centers, department stores or public parks. Consult local maps and people if you don't naturally come across them.

reply to this thread