Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

11D10N in Japan, NRT-KIX (open jaw) 2015/1/6 18:24
I'm following this recommended itinerary (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400_tokyo_9.html) fairly closely except that:

- I will go to Hakone/Yokohama instead of Kamakura.
- I will also add a day to go to Osaka and will depart from KIX instead of returning to Tokyo

Is the 7-day JR rail pass still worth it without the return trip? Or should I buy a standard shinkansen ticket from tokyo to kyoto, and then use a JR Kansai Area Pass for my days around the area?

Thank you!
by Sulky (guest)  

Re: 11D10N in Japan, NRT-KIX (open jaw) 2015/1/7 09:18
You can check train prices on this site to see if a pass will pay off

http://www.hyperdia.com/

I am thinking a 7 day pass will not pay off. The JR Kansai Area Pass (3 days) will pay out if you use it for 3 things

1. the trip from the airport into Tokyo
2. Nikko
3. Yokohama/Hakone

Looks like you are going to be in Tokyo for 5 nights and four days, so I do not think the Kanto pass will work for you either unless you able to do the above 3 consecutively with Kanto pass.
by Liz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 11D10N in Japan, NRT-KIX (open jaw) 2015/1/7 10:00
Unless you make a return trip between Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka, a 7-day JR Pass will not pay off.

Combining Yokohama & Hakone into one day would be tight.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 11D10N in Japan, NRT-KIX (open jaw) 2015/1/7 16:10
If from Kyoto you go to Osaka, Kobe, Himeji, and the airport a kansai pass is worth your money.

But how many days and which days you'll be going where relates to which pass. I think a kansai wide pass is good for you.
If you can survive not taking bullet trains (slower and usually more crowded trains) then you can take one of the othe passes.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 11D10N in Japan, NRT-KIX (open jaw) 2015/1/8 02:37
Thanks all! I think the 7-day JR pass is a no then, unless I am returning from Tokyo as well.

I will not combine yokohama and hakone into one day, will do either.

If I base myself in Osaka (after Tokyo) and go to Kyoto, Kobe, Himeji and Nara from, I assume the JR Kansai pass will pay off? Or what other passes do you recommend?

I'm a little confused with Hyperdia as I'm not entirely sure which trains are covered under the pass or not.

TIA!
by Sulky (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 11D10N in Japan, NRT-KIX (open jaw) 2015/1/8 10:32
If Hyperdia states a shinkansen or a JR Line it is JR.

If kintetsu or some other line, it is private rail way.

Kansai wide area pass is JR Only. When on hyperdia uncheck private railway.

If taking a pass that doesnt allow bullet trains or limited express, uncheck those. Mizuho/Nozomi etc are bullet trains too. (Just that they aren't covered by the 7/14/21 day JR Nation wide pass) so they are there for simplicity.

Kansai Wide are pass users may take all bullet trains but not private rail companies.

Hope it is not too confusing.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 11D10N in Japan, NRT-KIX (open jaw) 2015/1/8 15:33
Read this page: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2323.html
This will tell you exactly how to use Hyperdia!
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread