Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tomioka Silk Mill 2015/1/9 06:44
Hi All

Going to Tokyo this fall for 5 days. My sister read up on Tomioka Silk Mill and really wants to see it while we are in Tokyo. Has anyone been there? Thoughts?

I am trying to see if it is possible to combine it with one of our already planned days. We will be staying at a hotel next to Ueno Station. We have been to Japan once before. We have the Kanto pass, but I am more concerned with travel time.
3 days we might be able to add Tomioka Silk Mill

Day 1 Plan Hitachi Seaside park
(Its the opposite direction so I don't think this will work)
Day 2 Studio Ghibli
Day 3 4:30pm flight back home from Narita Airport

HELP!?!
by Liz (guest)  

Re: Tomioka Silk Mill 2015/1/9 10:16
Has anyone been there? Thoughts?

It is very interesting for people with an interest in silk or the industrial history of Japan. Not very interesting otherwise. It is easily reached from Tokyo and fully covered by the Kanto Area Pass. All the practicalities are described here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7415.html

You will need 6+ hours for the entire side trip from Tokyo, including transportation.

Starting this year, the mill will be closed on Wednesdays.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Tomioka Silk Mill 2015/1/9 11:19
Thank you Uji,

Yes, my sister has an interest in silk and the industrial history of Japan. Thank you for the information on travel time.
Any other places closer to Tokyo or Kyoto to look at silk production?
Also, according to Uji's time line, looks like day 3 would be the only option?
Thank you
by Liz (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread