Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What to wear / prepare (Early April 2015) 2015/1/10 04:17
Hihi,

Anyone have any idea what to wear for early april? I've checked the temperatures and it seems it will be around 17 at highest and 10 at lowest for the places I'll be going (Kanazawa, Kyoto, Hakone, Tokyo).

I'll be in Japan on 1st to 12th of April, starting to try to figure out if I need a thicker jacket. I've been to Japan previously, but mostly in winter/autumn period. This is my first spring trip, so I'm kind of at a loss.

I would think that a winter jacket like the one I wore in February may be too much? In February 2014, I managed in Tokyo with 1 winter jacket, shorts and leggings for the entire trip. Wondering if for Spring, a normal leather jacket (not real leather) would be sufficient? I'm thinking it would be okay for the mornings when its 17C or so, but what about at night?

I'm travelling light, so I'm considering not bringing a winter jacket unless absolutely necessary.

Thank you!
by BloodPrincess  

Re: What to wear / prepare (Early April 2015) 2015/1/10 14:54
Temperatures can fluctuate a whole lot in spring. Averages say one thing, but it's snowed in April before, just as its gotten up to 20 or more before, so keep that in mind when you pack.

If you generally can handle the cold no problem, then a lighter jacket will be fine, but I would bring clothes to layer so that if it gets warmer or colder, you have appropriate clothes.

If you're wanting to pack light, then skip the winter jacket. If you get cold, head to uniqlo and get one of their puffy jackets. They can be packed easily into small bags, worn under other jackets, are extremely warm, and are not very expensive. Buy one if you end up needing one, they're all over.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: What to wear / prepare (Early April 2015) 2015/1/10 19:48
Layers, layers, layers.....did I mention layers?????
Things to note:
1. trains, hotels, any buildings (department stores etc) are HEATED......VERY heated........strip off your layers heated.......
2. walking, of which you will do plenty in Japan, makes you warm....strip off your layers warm.....
3. For March/April trips we pack: jeans/equivalent; ( as a female, I also always have a singlet/vest on) short sleeved tops (polos/shirts); lightweight jacket/cardigan type weight top, with a hood; and a lightweight but waterproof rain jacket, also with a hood.
4. Cap (in case itfs really sunny...we Aussies are conscious of sun protection) /beanie/scarf/light gloves/mittens/umbrella...
then you are prepared for anything.....
It snowed on us in Sendai one April, but was very pleasant the next day.
Also take a day pack, so you have somewhere to put layers you are not wearing at the time
We wear easy slip off shoes for most days, as in temples, many restaurants, and museum you need to take your shoes off: so make sure you have nice socks on........I also always carry a spare pair of socks in my day pack...sometimes they get wet....
BUT we always put in a good pair of leather track shoes for wet days.
Even though you are from a warm climate, I doubt you will need heavy clothes: I agree, IF you are cold, slip into a Uniqlo store and buy what you feel you need......
Enjoy!
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: What to wear / prepare (Early April 2015) 2015/1/11 00:59
thanks guys! i was really reluctant against carrying a backpack (because i really don't like the idea of having my belongings behind me where i cannot see them).

I intended to pack a long sleeve shirt + my faux leather jacket, maybe will but a few heattechs and see how it goes from there. Like you guys say, i'll drop by uniqlo if it really gets too cold to bear! thanks for the advice :D
by BloodPrincess rate this post as useful

Re: What to wear / prepare (Early April 2015) 2015/1/11 10:00
i was really reluctant against carrying a backpack (because i really don't like the idea of having my belongings behind me where i cannot see them

A day pack can be a single shoulder type, carried in front: thats what we have. Its easier in front on trains/subways etc as well. And I also carry a Hedgren shoulder bag, being the female of the duo I carry all the passports/train passes/etc lol
BUT Japan is very safe: do not worry about that sort of thing at all.
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: What to wear / prepare (Early April 2015) 2015/1/11 10:47
My purse is carried on the back kinda like a backpack. I've never had problems in Tokyo, and I go often. Just avoid Roppongi at night and keep your common sense!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread