Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How cold is Takayama in February? 2015/1/10 22:15
I will be in Takayama on 8th February with my family. May I know how cold will the weather be? The actual feel of the temperature? Snow fall most of the days in February?
Will all the shops and restaurants in old town open during winter? Will the train be suspended if there is heavy snowfall?
Thank You
by Emilie Khoong  

Re: How cold is Takayama in February? 2015/1/11 11:47
May I know how cold will the weather be?

Average daytime high: 3.6 degrees
Average nighttime low: -5.6 degrees

It is usual for the temperature to deviate from the average by +/- 5 degrees. Sometimes more.

The actual feel of the temperature?

If there is wind, it can feel a few degrees colder.
If there is sun, it can feel a few degrees warmer.

Snow fall most of the days in February?

The probability of snow (or rain) on February 8 is 45% based on past data. The probability of heavy snow (or rain) is under 10%.

Will all the shops and restaurants in old town open during winter?

I believe so. At least most.

Will the train be suspended if there is heavy snowfall?

It happens rarely. Just as it can happen with strong winds or rain during any other time of the year.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: How cold is Takayama in February? 2015/1/11 14:22
Thank you for the reply. It is most useful for my trip.
I will arrive at Nagoya on the 7th Feb. and will take a train to Takayama on the 8th. Do I need to book the train tickets in advance? Can I just go to the Nagoya train station on the 7th and buy tickets to travel to Takayama on the 8th? Are the trains usually full?
Thank You
by Emilie Khoong rate this post as useful

Re: How cold is Takayama in February? 2015/1/11 17:38
I've been a few times and never pre-booked. If you have the budget for it, take the green car at the front because the train trip is spectacular, and on the wideview you can see past the driver and watch the scenery come up, especially if you are in the front few seats.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How cold is Takayama in February? 2015/1/11 19:09
Do I need to book the train tickets in advance?

No, the trains have non-reserved seating. I don't think that February 8 will be particularly busy. But I personally would make seat reservations, nevertheless. Just for peace of mind.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread