Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

where to go in nagano in april 2015/1/11 16:29
I am heading to Matsumoto and Takayama to spend a few days during the april spring season. after these, I still have 3 empty days and I am not sure which other areas of interest to head to around Nagano. I am purchasing the JR East pass, and will be going back to Tokyo after touring the area.

Any recommendations?
by shanna (guest)  

Re: where to go in nagano in april 2015/1/11 23:24
There's a lot to do in the area. For Nagano itself, while the Jigokudani Monkey Park is at its most picturesque in snow, April is still fine for visiting the monkeys depending on when in the month you go. (As it gets warmer, they stop bathing). Also in Nagano is the Kiso Valley, which is very nice, and there are tons of onsen in the area.

Kanazawa is close by, and is definitely worth a day or two. If you head to Kanazawa, you could swing through Gifu and Nagoya to get back to Tokyo.

Karuizawa for shopping, then you could go back to Tokyo through Gunma depending on your interest. Gunma has great hot springs, some nice nature (April is not too early here either), flowers etc., and recent World Heritage Sites that you might find interesting.

There are a ton of options depending on what your interests are.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: where to go in nagano in april 2015/1/12 05:00
We've been to Matsumoto a few times, There isnt much to do there, IMO though the castle is brilliant. As mentioned above, Karuizawa is good but not just for shopping. There are some great hikes there, because it is on the Nakasendo (sp?) highway.We stayed a few days last year (may) and are going back in April ourselves, and we dont really shop that much at all. But we were staying at Tsuruya Ryokan which is excellent and added to the experience. This year we are also going to Bessho Onsen which looks great (never been there) - check it out. And Kamikouchi is great too, I think it opens on about the 18th April this year.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: where to go in nagano in april 2015/1/12 08:39
When in Matsumoto, if it interests you, there is a Ukiyo-e museum worth visiting.
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: where to go in nagano in april 2015/1/12 12:21
thank you all!

is it advisable to head to kiso valley from takayama? or should i visit the valley before matsumoto
by shanna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: where to go in nagano in april 2015/1/12 13:30
Hi. Kiso valley isn't as interesting as other parts of the Alps, IMO. But if you were going from Nagoya, you'd visit Kiso Valley on the trip between Matsumoto and Nagoya. Takayama is a different direction, also departing from Nagoya.
by Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: where to go in nagano in april 2015/1/12 17:42
thank you!!
I think i'll swing by karuizawa after takayama for a few days since I can make use of my JR pass and there seems to be plenty to do there
by shanna (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread