Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Using technology to get around 2015/1/15 03:47
I will be visiting Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka from the United States in March. In the US, I use Google Maps on my mobile phone to help me find my way.
Unfortunately, my mobile phone is on the AT&T network here in the US, so I understand that even if I sign up for an international data plan, my phone will not be compatible with Japan's mobile phone networks.
In Japan, I will be doing a lot of self-guided tours and taking the subway to different parts of the city. It's probably not practical for me to try to find wifi every time I get off the subway (and it won't help if I'm walking around).
I know that there are companies that rent mobile phones, but I really don't need any voice capabilities - I just need something that tells me where I am and helps me walk in the right direction.
Any suggestions on what I should do? Should I just rent a smart phone and just use the data plan? Do the rental phones come with unlimited data plans?
Should I rent a "pocket WiFi" device (and use my American mobile phone)?
Thank you!
by VinceLA  

Re: Using technology to get around 2015/1/15 11:24
AT&T uses standard 3G/4G, so your phone is almost certainly compatible with the 3G/4G networks in Japan. We would need to know the model to find out for sure, however.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Using technology to get around 2015/1/15 12:40
You do have the option of printing out maps from your hotel computer and carring it around while asking locals, old-school.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Using technology to get around 2015/1/15 13:43
If your phone supports UMTS2100/HSPA2100 you should be good to go.
by john (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using technology to get around 2015/1/17 11:37
Hi,

I used a portable wifi device to travel around Japan. Also an app called "Line" to call and text international. The company I went with is called Global Advanced Communications LLC, they are a Japan company who rents out Cell phones and mobile wifi...I stayed 11 day's and paid $69.00 with using my American credit card. Make the reservation online and they will have your device ready for pickup at the airport you are arriving at, then when you leave you can mail it out at the post office also located at the airport. No postage needed because you'll receive a return folder with postage..

Aloha,
Mike
by Michael Kato (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using technology to get around 2015/1/25 20:00
Map
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Using technology to get around 2015/1/28 09:42
Take your phone and rent a pocket wifi system to use with Google Maps (overseas data rental would be expensive). I did just that on my trip late last year, and Google Maps was great - accurate and even knew the local public transport options.
I used ToCoo when I was there - never had any connection issues, it was fast, and I found it to be cheaper than any other rental (does not charge for rent between 9 and 30 days, so it was perfect for a month rental). Costs 3696 yen for 9-30 days. http://wifi.tocoo.jp/en/fee-n-product.php
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using technology to get around 2015/1/30 10:07
I just print Google Maps and JapanGuide Maps of attractions and hotels.
I print the station and bus stops locations.

Then I on Google Maps in a wifi area. Download the map and walk! You can preload the maps at your home country. Just zoom in and zoom out the particular area you would be going to. E.g. The whole of Hokkaido or Kyushu.

Once the map is loaded, GPS would tell you where you are on that map. If you did not pre-load the map, you'll be showned to be in the middle of a fog of war.

Maps help too because you could ask the locals. If you use Google maps, sometimes the location may be a bit off. If you have a picture of the hotel or attraction you are heading too, you can double confirm the location by using Google Maps Street View.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using technology to get around 2015/1/30 14:35
rent a pocket wifi... Roaming phone data can get EXPENSIVE.. Its easy to bust 6-800 (or more) in under 2 weeks and be careful of web pages with rotating ads and email apps, those can bust the bank and you won't know why. If you rent a pocket wifi you won't get this nasty surprise and you get the benefit of using your devices as much as you want..

Best app... MAP.. WIth the map you can never get lost. Drop a pin on your hotel before you go and wander anywhere you want. You'll always find your way back.
by basketcase rate this post as useful

reply to this thread