Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

will immigration reject me? 2015/1/17 02:53
alright, so this is going on : i've stayed in japan for a year with a working holiday visa, july 2013 - july 2014. i returned again on the last day of august 2014 with a tourist visa and extended it for 90 more days and now it will expire the end of february. i will be leaving japan of course, and will be living in seoul for 3 months. i am planning to return to tokyo with a tourist visa again in late may. would immigration reject me? if it helps i could bring a bank account statement that shows enough money.
i'm a bit worried they could reject me because ive stayed in japan for a long time and i have 'only' visited seoul before coming back. and a lot of people are going to seoul for a few days to enter japan again when their visa expires. although i am going to be there for 3 months, it still is the 'most convenient way' to re enter japan again, and that's why i am afraid this is just another reason for the immigration to reject me. i am not going to seoul because it is 'the most convenient way' to re enter japan again. but as if they care :P
my nationality is german if that helps..
by vanilla cake (guest)  

Re: will immigration reject me? 2015/1/17 09:00
Since you are from a "first world" country, they will probably not care and be glad that you come spend your money in Japan and increase their tourism statistics. At worst, you will be in for some questioning.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: will immigration reject me? 2015/1/17 10:36
Since you have spent more than 180 days in a year in Japan, which is the threshold for "temporary visitor," you will be in for a good questioning, even if you are German (firsthand family experience). You are likely to be asked questions about traveling money amongst other things, so bank account statement might help.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: will immigration reject me? 2015/1/17 10:41
Since you have spent more than 180 days in a year in Japan, which is the threshold for "temporary visitor,"

There is no such "threshold" officialy, and the anecdotal evidence that there is a non-official one is flimsy at best. (You can find about as much evidence saying there is one as saying there isn't.)
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: will immigration reject me? 2015/1/17 12:35
Well, then, that means there is just as much chance the OP might be questioned (and possibly be told to come back with a long-term status) as he might not. I mentioned it because I know of such threshold, so that the OP would be aware of that possibility.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: will immigration reject me? 2015/1/17 13:52
Q.’Êí‚̃rƒUŽæ“¾‚ð\¿‚µ‚Ü‚µ‚½‚ªA•s‹–‰Â‚Å‚µ‚½B‚Ç‚¤‚µ‚Ä‚à“ú–{‚És‚«‚½‚¢‚Ì‚ÅA’ZŠú‘Ø݃rƒU‚Å—ˆ“ú‚ðŒJ‚è•Ô‚·‚±‚Æ‚Ío—ˆ‚Ü‚·‚©B

A.ÅŒã‚É‹A‘‚µ‚½“ú‚©‚ç‘k‚Á‚ÄA‚P”N‚Ì”¼•ªˆÈã‚ð“ú–{‚Å‘ØÝ‚µ‚Ä‚¢‚éƒP[ƒX‚Å‚ÍA’ZŠú‘Ø݃rƒU‚Í‹–‰Â‚³‚ê‚Ü‚¹‚ñB
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: will immigration reject me? 2015/1/17 22:26
Well I haven't heard of any tourist "threshold" to be honest. The worst that can happen is that they might ask you a few question. If you have nothing illegal to worry about then you should be fine.

Probably they might ask you about how you are paying for the trips since you do need to have a job to pay for the trips, keeping your bank statements with you is a good option.

You can get a sponsor. My brother did the same thing when he went to the UK. A sponsor is a company usually, they say that they will back you up if anything happens financially. The company or Individual should have a strong bank statement. I am not sure about Japan on this one.

You don't have any problems so even if they bring you in for questioning, you should be fine.

by amzshow rate this post as useful

Re: will immigration reject me? 2015/1/17 22:38
thank you all for your responses. i really have nothing to hide, i am not afraid they would discover something about me that they shouldn't because there isn't anything. i know it depends a lot on the person that is checking your passport at the airport immigration, so i guess i just need a bit of luck..
by vanilla cake (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: will immigration reject me? 2015/1/17 22:41
unfortunately i am not able to get a long term visitor status/visa, so being a tourist is the only way for me to enter japan. i already had a working holiday visa.

Re: will immigration reject me? 2015/1/19 00:07
i think immigration will definitely question you based on the fact you have stayed in 18 of the previous 22 months, and are looking to stay another 3-6 months. You will have difficulty proving you are just a tourist and not living and working there. You will have to show in detail what you have been doing and have proof of funds that have come from elsewhere.
by pas7680 rate this post as useful

Re: will immigration reject me? 2015/1/19 04:32
i have to show IN DETAIL what i was doing? how am i supposed to do that? i have nothing to hide but at the same time nothing to show.. :/ i wasn't doing anything that i could proof or maybe i don't understand what you mean.

Re: will immigration reject me? 2015/1/19 04:54
what i meant is you will need to show proof of you being a tourist, as they will find it hard to believe that you need 2 years for tourism. Also financially they will want to know were your funds are coming from as legally you haven't been able to work since your WHV.
by pas7680 rate this post as useful

Re: will immigration reject me? 2015/1/19 06:37
how can i proof being a tourist? by showing i wasn't working?

Re: will immigration reject me? 2015/1/19 09:39
In common with many countries, Japan does not issue explicit guidance as to what constitutes a tourist/temporary visitor. This gives immigration lots of leeway to determine entrant's intentions, by data, questioning, telephone calls, baggage search etc.

The 180 day "rule" if oft cited, but it isn't true necessarily. There are people that have legally been in Japan for a number of years on extend temporary visitor status, with multiple re-entries. Equally, some people make many many short trips to Japan in a year. But if someone presents themselves for entry having come from a short trip to SK or other neighbouring country after 2 consecutive near full 90-day entries, then questions will be asked.

As far as immigration are concerned it is difficult to understand someone legitimately visiting for most of a year without working or committing other illegal activities. If immigration flag you up and you can explain what you're doing and where your money comes from, perhaps with documentary evidence, then they will let you in no problem. It's not clear the view they would take on people remote working on tourist status for prolonged periods and even people with very healthy trust funds who don't need to work have had their time in Japan limited.

TL:DR - your history will probably flag you up on arrival, it will be no problem if your situation is reasonable.

Also don't arrive drunk and in a belligerent state.
by Mr Shippy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: will immigration reject me? 2015/1/19 14:16
oh i can feel it already, this is gonna be bad.....

Re: will immigration reject me? 2015/1/20 11:48
how can i proof being a tourist?

A big one is to show that you have a return ticket. You may also be asked to submit a travel itinerary or show things like hotel reservations.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: will immigration reject me? 2015/1/21 04:04
IF and ONLY IF Immigration questions you, just show your bank info so they know that the money you have in legal.

That's the simplest way I can describe it.
by amzshow rate this post as useful

Re: will immigration reject me? 2015/1/21 11:04
IF and ONLY IF Immigration questions you, just show your bank info so they know that the money you have in legal.
That's the simplest way I can describe it.

Keep in mind with the OPs travel history there is a reasonably good chance of being questioned at immigration. Just be prepared.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: will immigration reject me? 2015/1/30 01:10
when i enter japan with a new passport, what is visible to immigration? my 'new passport' only shows my last stay in japan, which was six months (extended temporary visitor status) but i assume my previous entries are shown in their computer system..

Re: will immigration reject me? 2015/1/30 03:00
Unless someone here has been part of Japanese Immigration Bureau, I don't think anyone here is privy to what they know about you when your passport gets scanned.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread