Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Setsubun 2015/1/17 05:40
I looked up the meaning of Setsubun at Wikipedia and in other articles. Thus I know about the daemons, special foods, practices and so on.
But I did not find any information about that female figure or mask with the white face, which I saw on many pictures. She is not mentioned in any article.
Does anyone know the meaning of this figure?

Thank you!
by Smartyn  

Re: Setsubun 2015/1/17 10:45
Hi
I answer your question
Maybe you see "O-ta-fu-ku(Okame)" face mask.

Okame is a female mask often called Otafuku (literally, many fortunes), on the other hand, a male mask is called Hyottoko, and are a kind of a mask in Japanese traditional culture. She has a flat nose, and chubby cheeks,

So we use it on setsubun for "happiness figure"
by yamamipo rate this post as useful

Re: Setsubun 2015/1/17 10:47
It's believed that the white face female is called "Okame". Okame is a bit chunky style female who brings good luck. So people believe they kick out "Oni" and then invite "Okame".
http://pds.exblog.jp/pds/1/200901/27/45/d0094245_16252717.gif

By the way, my cat hates and flighten "Oni" mask even thought it is printed. So I don't have a Oni mask. haha
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Setsubun 2015/1/17 16:00
Ah okay, that's it.
In their homes Japanese call out "oni.wa.soto" (daemon go outside) and "fuku.wa.uchi" (luck come in).
It was clear to me, that the daemon's mask must be connected to "oni.wa.soto", but my brain did not make the logical step, to connect Okame to fuku (luck). Ahh!

I also did not know, that she is named 'Okame'. With that name I'll be easy to find further informations. I'm happy about that.

Thank you yamamipo and tokyo friend 48 for your quick and helpful replies.

Martin
by Smartyn rate this post as useful

Re: Setsubun 2015/1/17 17:00
There is no specific story on Setsubun, so those characters are believed as apart of story.
Okame is also called "Ofuku" which means "lots of luck". But Okame is not a "Kami".
I think the story has changed time to time and then people believe that Okame or Ofuku brings good luck.
"Okame Natto" which is very popular natto uses it logo design.
http://goo.gl/BmOAVX
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread