Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best time to visit Tateyama 2015/1/20 09:39
Hi,
I tried to visit Tateyama alpine route october 2013, but unfortunately had to cancel the trip because of a typhoon. The visit was in early october (around 10th I think).

I plan on visit Japan this or the next autumn to visit Tateyama this time. Circumstances makes it not possible for me to come to Japan until after the 11th of October so meaning I will be in Tateyama around 12-14th as earliest. Looking at the calendar of peak travel on the official web site it seems the rush is off after these dates. Any reason for that?

Would it be a bad time to go, like, too late, in mid/late October?

I want to see the autumn colors as well as the alps so thats my plan.
by Jojo (guest)  

Re: Best time to visut Tateyama 2015/1/20 09:58
Looking at the calendar of peak travel on the official web site it seems the rush is off after these dates. Any reason for that?

I am surprised! The autumn colors are still very nice in lower elevations along the route through October and would have expected to still fall into the peak season. Or you don't think the scenery in this mid October blog do not look attractive?
http://www.japan-guide.com/blog/koyo14/141016.html

Hiking in the higher elevations won't be necessary anymore, though.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Best time to visit Tateyama 2015/1/20 21:03
According to the official site it seems peak is over past mid-october. I think fall 2013 was unusually warm for the season so the autumn colours of other parts of Japan I hoped to see were delayed (in fact, everything was quite upside down that year, we got to see the end of the Sakura blossoming in Sapporo/Otaru area in late May/early June, but it was soooo cold....). Not until after the October typhoon the weather started to be more autumn-like.

Thank you for the blog link by the way Uji-san.

I was thinking of possibly going in late September instead (as you say, the hiking around higher elevation is not... possible, right?) as I wanted to hike around Tateyama. But as September is the late peak season of typhoons I might be more frustrated with the spoilation because of typhoons again...

Is the likeliness of snow around Tateyama high in mid/late October?

I will most likely be traveling in regular walking shoes and a light jacket (as for the most of the rest of Japan (Tokyo, Osaka, Fukuoka...) is quite warm as I understand). Should I be prepared for snow gear maybe?
by Jojo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread