Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

The ingredients of a particular dish 2015/1/23 02:32
I saw a vedio in which an old Japanes woman prepares a dish made of some vegetables with a wonderful shape and she was frying them, so I want to know whatingredients might they be and if there any close recipes because I really need them. They were like slices .Here is the link of the vedio:
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KgwLvtN8uE) at the moment (13:10)
by mahmood (guest)  

Re: The ingredients of a particular dish 2015/1/23 11:19
Maybe some sort of kinpira...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinpira

carrots definitely.
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: The ingredients of a particular dish 2015/1/23 12:05
that's a long video. Can you specify timestamps to help us out?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: The ingredients of a particular dish 2015/1/23 12:31
@yllwsmrf

see ► at the moment (13:10) in the post?

But I overlooked it at first too
by asa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: The ingredients of a particular dish 2015/1/23 12:35
Whoops, my bad. I'll take a look again.

Re: The ingredients of a particular dish 2015/1/23 12:43
If you go to 12:22 she's peeling the vegetable. Looks to me like tougan (winter melon) mixed with carrots, but I'm not positive.

Re: The ingredients of a particular dish 2015/1/23 16:52
I wonder how much is explained by the reporter and narrator who are speaking a languagage I can't understand (Arabic?).

As the narrator says, the location is Okinawa, she is obviously Okinawan speaking the dialect, and since she is treating her guests from the foreign country, she is most likely using local vegetables.

I supppose it's some kind of local gourd that we hardly see here in the main part of Japan, with carrots and perhaps konbu seaweed. Seems like a simple everyday, healthy dish that grandmothers would typically make.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: The ingredients of a particular dish 2015/1/23 17:06
Yup, that's why I think its tougan since they seem to be used in Okinawan cuisine. There's a good pic on this page that looks like the green melon that she's peeling.

http://www.oki-islandguide.com/cuisine/longevity-island-the-delicious-...

Re: The ingredients of a particular dish 2015/1/23 18:08
Yes, but the thing she was peeling seemed much smaller and rounder than a tougan or even a shima-tougan which are both long. Also, I'm not really sure if tougan is hard enough to be sliced so finely and then stir-fried.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: The ingredients of a particular dish 2015/1/23 18:27
Yea I found that suspect too, but it's possible they are immature tougan which would be firmer and rounder than fully mature ones. I also came across a few similar dishes online that use shredded tougan, but nothing that looks close enough to the video, and most of those don't peel it first.

Re: The ingredients of a particular dish 2015/1/24 05:01
thank veru much guys for your attention... I'm not demanding the same thing.
I only like the thing as a whole....so I want a receipe near; vegetables peeled and fried ...don't you eat something similar???
by hsubzero (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: The ingredients of a particular dish 2015/1/24 05:18
I think it might be green papaya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm0Lvn54_Sw
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: The ingredients of a particular dish 2015/1/24 05:32
thanks bro... I think you are so close or it is just it...Can you suggest or anyone a recipe for a salad made of peeled vegetables like lettuce, cabbage, carrot or whatever? I know I'm asking too much.
by mahmood (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: The ingredients of a particular dish 2015/1/24 05:54
The video looks like the preporter is listing up ingredients the Okinawan lady's cooking with. Does anybody not understand Arabic?

Looking at the wiki's link the 2nd poster gives, it looks to me that the green veg is green papaya, rather than tougan.

If you google search okinawa green papaya irichi or stir-fry, you'll get recipes similar to what the lady cooks in the vid. Looks like a nice simple household dish. Mothers must have their own recipe slightly different from each other's. But two of the main ingredients seem green papaya and carrots.

by kd (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: The ingredients of a particular dish 2015/1/24 06:01
Sorry. Correction to the previous post.

preporter --- reporter

by kd (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: The ingredients of a particular dish 2015/1/24 06:04
thanks kd. all I want know is a tasty salad made of peeled vegetables specially lettuce. please.
by mahmood (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread