Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Fukuoka or Osaka? 2015/1/23 23:11
I'm stuck between two language schools. One is in Fukuoka (FFLC) and the one in Osaka is Kansai college. Both have good reviews and such. They both offer a diploma after two years so you can work with a company, I'm sure they even help you find a job when you graduate from the 2 year program (The one I'm applying to). I've never been to Fukuoka but it looks like a beautiful city. Osaka on the other hand, I spent a month there and absolutely loved it.

Any advice on choosing one?
Maybe someone who lived in both places?
by caylankun  

Re: Fukuoka or Osaka? 2015/1/24 12:48
The only diploma you get from language schools is that you can speak Japanese at XY level....

Like hundreds other Japanese do. It won't help you much getting a work visa
by Asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka or Osaka? 2015/1/24 15:07
Yeah it helps you get a work visa. It works as a degree. Only a couple language schools have it here in Japan. You can become a translator, but not much other than that.
by caylankun rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka or Osaka? 2015/1/24 15:29
As far as I can look up, the 2-year courses at these two schools only get you eligible (if you successfully complete the courses) to be ready with the Japanese language to apply for a university in Japan (in terms of language proficiency). Two years of study is enough to get you to follow classes, but not enough to be a translator.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka or Osaka? 2015/1/24 15:36
Associate Diploma Degree

After completing the full 2 year program at FFLC, you'll receive an associate's degree. You can use this degree to find a full-time job, or to transfer to a 4 year university as a sophomore. This means you can skip 2 years and go straight to the 3rd! - See more at:

http://gogonihon.com/en/fukuoka-foreign-language-college-japanese-lang...

FFLC in Fukuoka

Re: Fukuoka or Osaka? 2015/1/24 15:43
Those schools are atually senmon gakko, who just happen to teach Japanese (in the same way that other schools teach, say, cooking), and immigration does sometimes consider a diploma from a senmon gakko to be equivalent to a university degree. Securing a job offer is of course a completely different matter.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka or Osaka? 2015/1/24 15:53
I think you may be confusing the language school (FFLC) with the actual college (FIIC)... the actual college gives you this 2 Associate Diploma Degree.

But if you only attend language classes then... you won't get this associate degree. This is how I understand the site, it's pretty confusing.

http://www.f-seikei.com/english/
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka or Osaka? 2015/1/24 15:57
That said, gogonihon states that the FFLC gives you the degree but they are a 3rd party site... they could be wrong but I can also be wrong.
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka or Osaka? 2015/1/24 16:17
I agree with the above posters - this is a vocational school (senmon gakko), where Japanese students can study (the English language, for example) for two years and then go on to find a job, which happens to also teach Japanese to non-Japanese.

And even if there was an associate degree available to those who completed Japanese courses for two years, an "associate degree" is not sufficient to get you eligible fora work visa - a bachelor's degree is what you would need (in terms of Immigration requirement).

Again I could be wrong, but this is what I read off their website.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka or Osaka? 2015/1/24 16:51
With all that said I'll most likely be going to university after that. Can't go wrong with transferring into your 3rd year.

Anyways none of you gave me advice on Fukuoka or Osaka which was the main question..

so any advice?

Re: Fukuoka or Osaka? 2015/1/25 01:06
If it was me, I'd choose Osaka. They're both beautiful cities but Osaka has Kyoto and Tokyo just a train ride away.
by daai maou (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread