Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is 1 month in Tokyo too much? 2015/1/24 06:33
I have dreamed of visiting Tokyo for the longest time. First of all, is a month stay in tokyo too much? Will I run out of things to do? I know Japan has other great places but I hope to visit these in the future. Right now the focus of my trip is Tokyo. Also, I already have lodging covered so I don't have to worry about it. Is $3,000 for a month enough?

Thanks
by Mike Evans (guest)  

Re: Is 1 month in Tokyo too much? 2015/1/24 13:57
Yes and no....

It depends what you mean by Tokyo..Will you visit only the 23 wards, or will you travel to nearby Yokohama,Kamakura, the Mt Fuji area etc.etc.

Personally I would split one month in 2 weeks in the Kanto and 2 weeks in the Kansai.

As for how much money for a month (not including hotels) I usually spend 7500 yen a day, roughly (learn to think in yen, not $) but then I eat cheap meals and don't drink alcohol of any kind. I don't buy souvenirs either, except for a few magazines.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 1 month in Tokyo too much? 2015/1/24 15:52
No, you won't run out of things to do in Tokyo - there's plenty to see and do for a month! Of course you can take daytrips down to Yokohama, Kamakura, Shonan beach, etc. too if you like.

Y11,500 is probably enough for a reasonable stay without being too extravagant. If you budget Y5000 for dinner with drinks (sometimes less, sometimes more), usually lunch will average Y1000 and breakfast Y500 or so, with the rest going to admissions to attractions, transport, etc.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Is 1 month in Tokyo too much? 2015/1/24 17:04
As someone that stayed in Tokyo for 10 days, one month is good.

You can take your time to explore every district. I mean take your time. I spent a day on a tour at Mt fuji and Hakone, Yokohama should be a day or two.

If you are interested as someone
Mentioned, go to Kansai (Osaka) it's just as beautiful as Tokyo.
by sillyhead rate this post as useful

Re: Is 1 month in Tokyo too much? 2015/1/24 22:45
Tokyo with day trips is fine for a month-that was my first trip. Self-catering is fairly cheap and not unusual if you are staying in an apartment with cooking facilities, and $3k would be fine. For the purposes of mental arithmetic, roughly $1 = 100yen, give or take a bit. If you see a Japanese price, lop off two zeros and you have a rough dollar cost.

You can do some quite adventurous day trips from Tokyo by train, shinkansen and air.

You could consider a week in Osaka/Kyoto, just so that when you get back, you don't feel like you let an opportunity slip. Check out what it has to offer, and see if anything grabs you. Have a great time!
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread