Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Temple morning service at Hoonin 2015/1/24 22:01
Hi. I've heard of this wonderful experience that is temple lodging at Mt. Koya,so I made a reservation for mid April at the Hoonin temple. Then I've learnt that this is a family temple and not a large/institutional(?) temple; more like a house it seems. I wonder what to expect from a familiy temple beside the lodging and excellent food. For example, I was told that the morning service is not something to be missed, but does that apply to such a small temple? Should I switch temples for a more "complete" or memorable expierence? This is my lifetime trip to Japan and I want to make the most of it. I don't mind stretching my budget a little if I have to. Your impressions will be appreciated.
by guillep2k  

Re: Temple morning service at Hoonin 2015/1/25 12:05
I don't know about the Hoonin Temple ritual, but the one at Fudoin on Koyasan is something I will not soon forget.

http://traveljapanblog.com/wordpress/2014/07/time-for-church/
by acase (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temple morning service at Hoonin 2015/1/25 12:10
P.S. According to tripadvisor, Hoonin does have a morning service.
by acase (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temple morning service at Hoonin 2015/1/25 12:35
Sorry, but I don't think that's very useful. Fudoin is a 1000+ years old temple and clearly not family owned. That's why I ask about Hoonin and what to expect about it. I don't have the slightest idea of what the morning service consists of, so I don't know if one held at a family temple could be a washed off experience, paling in comparision to greater temples or on the contrary, I'm completely off track and in this type of event the temple itself is of little importance as long as it has a morning service.

Has anyone know if there are significant differences between them?
by guillep2k rate this post as useful

reply to this thread