Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

No Return Flight Inquiry 2015/1/25 01:08
Hi All,

I've just got a general question. I used to live in Japan so I've never thought about this problem.

I'm looking at visiting Japan in mid June and to visit friends and do some travelling.

However - I was looking at only buying a one way ticket to Japan and then buying a ticket home when I got sick of travelling (in case it gets too hot or I want to go home).

My main question is the following - will I be allowed entry into Japan without a return flight?
by mfedley  

Re: No Return Flight Inquiry 2015/1/25 09:44
a lot of airlines won't even board you without a return ticket. Besides I've never seen two single tickets that work out cheaper than a flexible return.
by pas7680 rate this post as useful

Re: No Return Flight Inquiry 2015/1/25 12:35
My home city has a discount airline flying to Narita - thus it's the same price.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: No Return Flight Inquiry 2015/1/28 22:06
I have been to Japan often and have never been asked to show my return ticket by the immigration officer. Only customs officers take an interest when they see the stamps on my passport. I usually travel on budget carriers, but I always buy return tickets as I need to get home anyway.
Budget carriers sell one way tickets, cost will depend on whether their business is good or bad. I only buy when they have a cheap sale. We are lucky to have 3 budget carriers here that flies to Japan.
by CS Tan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: No Return Flight Inquiry 2015/1/28 22:58
Thanks for the info. I just ended up paying a little extra and I can now change the dates for free or little cost - which basically removes any potential problem
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: No Return Flight Inquiry 2015/1/28 23:24
Japan has no formal requirement for onward travel as a condition of entry under visa waiver.
Certain airlines (depending on their legal advice/insurance) will claim a requirement and refused to board passengers without onward travel.
Immigration can see any onward flight details booked in your name and usually won't care if there aren't any unless they suspect you for another reason.
Lack of onward travel is certainly an immigration flag, but isn't in isolation likely to lead to denied entry or detention.
If they have suspicions about you, they can ask whatever questions they like and demand proof of any of your claims.
by Mr Shippy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread