Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Problems booking a flight? 2015/1/25 07:52
I have to book a flight into Narita, but am having trouble regarding the date and time.

I have to arrive in Narita on Saturday February 14th (JST). My agent said that since I'm in EST I have to book my flight 2 days ahead of the 12th because Japan is a day ahead of us. So my agent wants me to book a flight that leaves February 12th at 8 AM EST and arrives February 13th at 3:10 PM EST. Convert the time and that's February 14th at 5:10 AM JST.

However, my company said that's not correct and I would be a day early. I would be arriving on the 13th and not the 14th.

I know this sounds stupid, but I'm confused. I went to an agent to avoid confusion, haha.
by Bill Peltzer (guest)  

Re: Problems booking a flight? 2015/1/25 12:49
Just make a "mock" booking on the website of any airline, just to see the dates and times of flights. A direct flight from JFK to NRT leaving on the 12th will almost certainly arrive on the 13th, except maybe if you leave very late at night. But if you have connecting flights, this could make it longer. Ask your travel agent to show you the full details about the proposed flight.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Problems booking a flight? 2015/1/25 12:50
Something is wrong with your data because arrivals at Narita Airport are not allowed before 6am.

The 3:10pm time is likely Japan Time, because that is when flights from San Francisco, Chicago and Minneapolis are scheduled to arrive at Narita.

So, my guess is that the stated arrival time (February 13th at 3:10 PM) is Japan Time rather than EST.

It would help if you explained from where you will be traveling.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Problems booking a flight? 2015/1/25 13:40
if you look at timetables,
departure time is based on the departure place.
and arrival time is based on the arrival place.
generally, there is no information of the arrival time which is based on the departure place.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Problems booking a flight? 2015/1/25 14:13
When you look at flight schedules, both departure and arrival times are usually given in the "local time" (of the departing or the destination airports, respectively), so it is very likely that your arrival is Feb. 13 at 3:10 PM "Japan Time."
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Problems booking a flight? 2015/1/26 00:05
Seriously...why not just add x hours flight time, plus (or minus, depending on where you are) y hours time difference and work it out yourself?
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Problems booking a flight? 2015/1/26 01:14
Your agent is basically saying your flight takes over thirty hours....where in the Eastern Time Zone are you flying from? ;-)

I wouldn't let someone that ignorant plan a trip for me....
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

reply to this thread