Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yamashina area in Kyoto - is it nice? 2015/1/25 21:27
I've been looking at some real estate websites and have seen several houses advertised around Yamashima station.

Is this a good area? Or is it an area with a bad reputation. As an example I was looking at this:-

http://www.realestate.co.jp/en/forsale/view/258973

Which seems quite reasonably priced - is this just the price of real estate in Kyoto (much cheaper than Tokyo)? Or is this a "bad" area - appreciate bad by Japanese standards is probably different than western standards.

There are not many resources in English language for Kyoto real estate, so I wonder what the average price is for a 80 - 100 square metre house, newly built.

Looking for something that I could cycle to downtown in, so nothing too far out.

Thanks
by Chris (guest)  

Re: Yamashina area in Kyoto - is it nice? 2015/1/26 11:32
Sorry, I can't answer your question and I don't want to hijack your thread but what is the first picture of the second row showing? Storage space in the floor or something?
by daai maou rate this post as useful

Re: Yamashina area in Kyoto - is it nice? 2015/1/26 14:32
It is a cool storage for food
by Rueful Renard (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yamashina area in Kyoto - is it nice? 2015/1/26 20:40
Other people will know more as I only have an ok knowledge of Kyoto - but it seems as though the house is kind of in 'the sticks' of Kyoto. That means - in the outer suburbs.

It's also quite close to the Shinkansen (line - not station) and another province - which might affect the properties value.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Yamashina area in Kyoto - is it nice? 2015/1/29 17:04
Ok thanks for the advice - yes I realise its slightly in the suburbs.. good spot on the Shinkansen line.

Would be interested to hear from any Japanese that know Kyoto well... the cost is much cheaper than I would get in England.
by Chris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yamashina area in Kyoto - is it nice? 2015/1/30 09:56
Recommendation
Try to find how long it takes by bus to the Kyoto Station and the local station. That helps a lot.

Or by biycycle
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yamashina area in Kyoto - is it nice? 2015/2/8 11:50
Actually one of my mates used to live in Yamashina for almost 10 years before she moved to Tokyo.
JR Yamshina station is just one station from JR Kyoto station !! if ye want to go to Sanjo station , ye just take underground line from Yamashina station and just take 10 mins!!

by musicloverOsakan rate this post as useful

Re: Yamashina area in Kyoto - is it nice? 2015/2/8 17:17

Yamashina is quite common Japanese suburb. As others have said, the train and subway connections to downtown Kyoto are very good. The area itself has a relatively good selection of shops and also some nature in the hills north from the station.

You mentioned that you might want to cycle to Kyoto...
It is possible, but there is quite a steep hill between Yamashina and Kyoto. The route has a tunnel, but still the road climbs quite a bit before the tunnel on both sides of the hill. Naturally, this is no problem if you have a good stamina and take cycling seriously.

by K0DAMA rate this post as useful

Re: Yamashina area in Kyoto - is it nice? 2015/2/8 19:22
Yamashina is nice, definitely not the sticks. Its still very urban and well-connected to Kyoto, Shiga, and etc.
by yshin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yamashina area in Kyoto - is it nice? 2015/2/9 03:11
Thanks for the advice - I realised it wasn't in the sticks by the proximity of central Kyoto by subway and just 8km away.

Good to hear it seems to be considered a nice area, and useful to here about the steep hill.

Thanks for the advice.

Would that be considered a cheap price for Kyoto?
by Chris (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread