Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

yes another temple stay question 2015/1/26 22:01
hi all,

i know, another question on temple stays in koyasan.

i have read many forum threads as well as visited various websites where temple stays can be booked.

i know ultimately, my son and i travelling to mt koya on july 10 of this year will enjoy where ever we stay and that everyone has their own opinion as to what makes a stay special.

having said that, i still would like to try and feel comfortable about which temple to pick. i enjoy the process of looking at what each has to offer and pics etc.

unfortunately, many of their websites do not have english so i tend to rule them out of the running. others, after reading fine print suggest it is not possible to book outside of japan while others do not take bookings for july yet. i have a very tight schedule and have bookings on either side of july 10 so would like to have something locked in as soon as possible.

has anyone else found themselves in a similar position as myself i.e trying to decide which temple and also the booking process from overseas. i am in sydney australia.

i know we will be tourists, but i would really like a smaller temple maybe a little off the beaten track where there might be less tourist traffic. i think this will be somewhat more immersive. from what i understand, they are all relatively close i.e 30 mins walk etc

i would very much appreciate any input, advice, suggestions or recommendations. thank you for your consideration

regards
ronnie
by AussieRonnie  

Re: yes another temple stay question 2015/1/27 09:14
Don't worry, virtually everyone is in the exact same situation as you. Luckily Koyasan is one of the easier places to book a temple stay and many of the temples can take English reservations directly on their websites. In case you find one that doesn't then the contact the tourist info center on their site. They will help you make reservations via email.

http://eng.shukubo.net/reservation.html

Now the hard part is choosing a place that suits you. Note that even if they don't have an English website, the temples are very accustomed to serving foreign guests and at the very least usually have English placards and signs around so that you know what is going on.

Now my personal recommendation is Shojoshin-in right next the entrance to Okunoin. The location is great, the temple is beautiful, and the monks were very accommodating. When we stayed a few years ago the head monk had spent time in California and spoke English. Not sure if he is still there though. Otherwise, I'd recommend just browsing their websites and eliciting other recommendation to find a place that suits your tastes.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: yes another temple stay question 2015/1/27 10:27
I would say all the temples there are really nice. Although, some of them are more spacious meaning a bigger garden.

If I am staying at a temple lodging, I would to experience it in its full glory, meaning a proper garden to set the mood. Not just a place for bed and food.

That said, any temple directly south, east, or west of the main temple would be good. I have only stayed in one, and visited a few others so I am not able to tell which is the best. Just take a pick, usually more expensive means better, this being Japan.

If you want a feel for the size, use Google Maps to look at the size of the area. Also use it to get to your lodging. If you cannot find the place on Google Maps, do not book it.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: yes another temple stay question 2015/1/27 18:38
thx guys for some fantastic feedback. i really appreciate you taking the time to help :D
regards
ronnie
by AussieRonnie rate this post as useful

reply to this thread