Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Railway pass questions 2015/1/28 07:02
Hello
I have a question about railway pass.
We are a family of 6 people aged 3, 5, 7, 8, 35, 34
We are travelling Japan in marts/april 2015 14 days.
We will begin in Tokyo and stay 4 days, then going to Hakone where we will need a Hakone free pass.
After Hakone we will go to Tsumago, then Kyoto, Nara and Osaka. As I can see the Hakone free pass includes going from Tokyo to Hakone.
Would you then reformend us to buy the railway pass or just railway trickets along the road?

Thank you very much

Theresa

by Theresa (guest)  

Re: Railway pass questions 2015/1/28 13:56
In my opinion, it is not worthwhile to buy the JR 7 consecutive day Nationwide Rail Pass which costs Y29110. From Hakone Yumoto to Odawara, you need to use Odakyu Railways which is a private railway. If your Hakone Free Pass is still valid for the day you leave, you will pay less than Y10430. Odawara to Nagoya onwards to Nagiso is by JR, from Nagiso, you will than need to pay for the bus ride to Tsumago. The average total cost of this journey from Hakone Yumoto to Nagiso is average Y10430 which also includes the Shinkansen from Odawara to Nagoya.
Children below 6 rides free on JR if they do not occupy a seat. For the rail pass, those from 6 to 11 pays 50 pct of the rail pass price, but maybe it also applies to individual ticket sales (I am not sure about this).
The JR Nationwide Rail Pass cannot be used for the Nozomi Shinkansen. You can only use Hikari or Kodama Shinkansen trains. The average costs of travelling from Nagiso to Kyoto on ordinary trains is Y4430 per adult (quite a lot of transfers needed) and from Kyoto to Nara is Y710 per adult and from Nara to Osaka is Y800 per adult. The railpass is convenient but in your case, costly. You can search for Hyperdia on the internet and try out various options in searching for the best routing for your train journeys. Reason why I said average costs is because different routings/train compositions will throw up different cost structures. Hyperdia will give you a clear picture.
by CS Tan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Railway pass questions 2015/1/28 14:53
Hello,

For example :

1) Odawara station to Nagiso Station via Nagoya for go to Tsumago by Shinkansen and Express train : about 11,000 yen per person for Adult.

2) Nagiso station to Kyoto station via Nagoya by Express train and Shinkansen :
about 9,000 yen per person for Adult.

For Kids, Half price of Adult.

3) Around Kyoto, Nara area, You can buy Kansai 1 day Pass or normal ticket.

If you want to move more flexible, it is better use JR Rail Pass.

If you need more information, Please use contact us form you will get a professional reply.
by Travel Arrange Japan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread