Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Has anyone ever used free tour guide? 2015/1/28 14:23
Hi All,

I'm currently planning a 5-6 week holiday along the Western coast of Honshu and the Kii peninsula in June/July. I've also noticed that many local prefectural tourist offices offer free tours by volunteers.

Has anyone ever tried any of these tours?

I've travelled around Japan quite extensively (even compared to locals) but want to try something a little different. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
by mfedley  

Re: Has anyone ever used free tour guide? 2015/1/29 00:37
I have used the Tokyo Free Walking Tour. It was pretty good and very different from a regular day tour. I'm sure if that was good then the rest of the Walking Tours should be good as well.

Just note some walking tours need you to pay for transportation, attractions and maybe meals for the Volunteer guide. (I have not try this yet but have seen some posting online)

Hope this helps!

Have fun!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Has anyone ever used free tour guide? 2015/1/29 00:38
mfedley, good to 'see' you here.....I have gone on tour with a number of the free tourist office guides over the years when I visited Japan...from Matsumoto to Uchiko. They are some of my best memories - going around with a local - I don't know how much Japanese you speak but mine is not great, and most of the volunteers are happy to practice their English and tell you about their town/area. I haven't been to the Kii peninsula but I am sure going with a guide there will be an interesting experience. Enjoy!
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: Has anyone ever used free tour guide? 2015/1/29 01:11
It's good to hear this - as it gives me an excuse to do some extensive research and contacting people to plan visits. I'm currently living in a country where it was -36C on the weekend.

My original plan was to try and travel around Shikoku & Kyushu in June/July, but the idea of the hot weather (or hiding up in the mountains) scared me off a bit. I'll also be moving closer to Japan so I should be able to finish my unofficial goal of visiting all 48 prefectures in the next few years

At the moment, my basic plan is Yokohama - Tsuruoka - Kusatsu Onsen - Manza Onsen - Iiyama - Myoko - Itoigawa - Kurobe - Kanazawa - Kinosaki Onsen - Tottori - Himeji - Wakayama - Shingu - Nagoya - Ito over 5 or so weeks. Most places I stay 3 nights - others (which I have already visited) a single night to break up long days of travel (like Himeji).

Many of the above places are not on the international tourist trail - but seem to offer the type of things I'm intereted in (getting off the beaten track in the countryside).

Now just to also plan Spring Break.... The difficult life of an international teacher....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Has anyone ever used free tour guide? 2015/1/29 01:22
At the moment, my basic plan is Yokohama - Tsuruoka - Kusatsu Onsen - Manza Onsen - Iiyama - Myoko - Itoigawa - Kurobe - Kanazawa - Kinosaki Onsen - Tottori - Himeji - Wakayama - Shingu - Nagoya - Ito over 5 or so weeks. Most places I stay 3 nights - others (which I have already visited) a single night to break up long days of travel (like Himeji).

I loved Kinosakionsen! Stayed there for two days but it still wasn't enough to conquer all the public onsens. Yes, off the beaten trail is the best I think. I went to Akita, Sendai, Aomori as my northern part of Japan trip and basically when I got there, I roamed around the city exploring as I go. Even bumped into a festival parade (or maybe they were practicing lol) and saw fireworks. One of my highlights for sure considering I didn't really speak Japanese and many locals helping me alone the way.

Have fun!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Has anyone ever used free tour guide? 2015/1/29 10:20

Of your mentioned places I have only been to Nagoya, Ito, Wakayama, Himeji, Kanazawa. I was pretty sure you've been to those places before...

Nagoya is the perfect city to do nothing. There are some nice streets to walk about and a science museum. But besides these, Nagoya is really for doing nothing. Good for a day of rest from hectic travelling.

Ito is an amazing small town onsen. Unlike those old onsen town with many traditional shophouses and narrow lanes or modern hot spring resorts (Beppu) this one is a suburban distrcit. Meaning many small houses and about one shopping arcade. Friendly locals plus the onsens are smack in the middle of residential.

Wakayama has little to offer. In my opinion the coastal view of Miyazaki is on top. Wakayama is known for their mikans and if you head to KiiKatsura, hotel urashima is the only choice for onsen lovers.

Himeji and Kanazawa. Nothing for me to say. You probably been there yourself. Though, I must say a day or two spent in Noto Peninsular is surprisingly awesome. Just to see nature and the strong coastal winds. (Sort of like in Australia where the ocean and sea meets)

I have used free tour guide. But for the life of me I can't remember where. Reason being, I just tagged along along the way. As I didn't have the luxury of time and soon broke away. Information like history can always be googled if it is a famous enough site,
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Has anyone ever used free tour guide? 2015/2/2 00:41
Hi Joshua,

Thanks for the info.

At the moment - I can't for the life of me find easy to book accommodation in Itoigawa so I've decided to stay in Nagano and take the train there instead. There also seems to not be much to do at Myoko so I'm probably going to take up your suggestion and go to the Noto Peninsula instead.

At present - I'm thinking of 2 nights in Wajima City and one night at Wakura Onsen. I've visited Kanazawa and did not think much of it (thus I've made three free days)...

Any suggestions on your (or anyone elses) favourite places on the Noto peninsula would be appreciated....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread