Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Questions on ryokan's mealtimes 2015/1/28 15:55
Greetings everyone,

We will be visiting Japan for the first time, and we will be staying in Wakamatsu Honten ryokan in Narita, with dinner and breakfast. This will happen on the last night of our stay.

I am quite unfamiliar with how things work in a ryokan. From their website, I gather that the mealtimes are as follows:

* Dinner is served from 18:00 to 19:30.
* Breakfast is served from 7:30 to 9:00.

In this case, what time will be the latest that we should arrive at the ryokan for the dinner?

The following day, our flight out of Narita departs at 10.30am, and we're planning to take a taxi there. I reckon the latest time for us to check out is 8.30am. Will it be rude for us to stay for breakfast only until about 8.15am, and then leave to check out? Or should we negotiate an earlier time for breakfast, or even forgo it altogether?

Thanks in advance for any insights on this. :)
by randomx (guest)  

Re: Questions on ryokan's mealtimes 2015/1/29 00:32
The dinner is served between 18:00 and 19:30, so I recommend you to be there by 19:10 or around the time. If you will expect a bit late arrival, I recommend you to inform the Ryokan that you will be late.

If you arrived earlier, they normally ask you the time you want to serve dinner, then you request the serving time between 18:00 and 19:30.

If you are leaving there at 8:30, you can ask the Ryokan that you want to eat breakfast a bit earlier than 7:30(eg, 7:10). I think majority of Ryokans accept the request.
The check out can be done in advance normally for early departures. Then you can spend a bit longer in the morning.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Questions on ryokan's mealtimes 2015/1/29 00:57
Thank you very much tokyo friend 48! I reckon we will reach at around 6.30-7pm, so it won't be too late then. Sounds like checking out before breakfast will work well too, so we'll probably ask them if we can do that.
by randomx (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Questions on ryokan's mealtimes 2015/1/29 03:14
Agreed, though I would let them know in advance what time you expect to get there regardless, moreso if you are having dinner served in your room (because they have to schedule the server). Ryokans can be quite regimented about dinner and breakfast times - they have to be so that it all works out - so even though you have a general window, you'll have to give them times for both.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread