Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone 2015/1/28 15:56
Hi,

A few questions about Hakone as we planned to go there from Asakusa and stay overnight at a ryokan near the Hakone-Yumoto area;

1. According to Hyperdia, if traveling one way without Hakone free-pass, must board the Odakyu Ltd. Exp. Hakone line from Odawara Station;

a. Is this the same as the Limited Express Hakone Romancecar? or is this a different line?

2. If i purchase the Hakone free pass in Odawara Station (4,000 yen), does it include the trip back to Shinjuku?

3. Is it possible to explore Hakone (the round trip package, or just going to 1 to 3 sites such as Lake Ashi, Gora, Owakudani, Gotemba, etc) without the Hakone free pass? i.e is there any regular bus line or subway lines to go to said areas? cause i can't seemed to find the

4. Or is it better to buy the free pass instead, even if i only want to go to 1-3 sites only?

Thanks,

Melati Karina

by melatikarina  

Re: Hakone 2015/1/29 02:00
1, Odakyu line(except Romance car) operates between Shinjuku and Odawara station.
Odakyu line(except Romance car) doesn't go to Hakone-Yumoto station which is the gateway station for Hakone.
You must on board "Hakone-Tozan railway" from Odawara sta to Hakone-Yumoto sta even though you have a Hakone Free Pass.

a: Romance car is the only train which goes straight to Hakone-Yumoto from Shinjuku.

2, You can purchase a Hakone Free Pass in Odawara sta but it doesn't include a return ticket.

3, You can explore Hakone without the free pass. Hakone Free Pass is designed for a return ticket and multiple ride on Hakone transports such as cruise ship, ropeway public bus in Hakone area.

4, I don't think it worth to buy if you don't use a return ticket.

The cruise ship costs 1000 Yen per board, and ropeway costs 1370 Yen between Sounzan sta and Togendai sta per board. So you must on board at least twice or consider the other destination if you purchase the pass in Odawara which cost 4000 Yen.

My recommendation is, you want to on board Romance car or not first. Romance car is faster and stop only limited stations on the way to Hakone-Yumoto sta. You can be on board Romance car if you have a Hakone Free Pass but you must pay an extra charge.

How much time you have in Hakone and what you want to do there. This is because Hakone Free Pass is not cheap and include a return ticket, so if you don't use Odakyu rail and/or Romance car, I think it doesn't worth to buy.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone 2015/1/29 05:33
Hello! I went to Hakone with my friend in December 2014, and here are my experiences.

1. Like Tokyo Friend 48, the Romancecar I believe the only way to get there, or at least is the fastest way.

2. If you are at Asakusa I would recommend just buying the Hakone Free Pass at the Odakyu Tourist Office so you can buy all your passes and tickets all at once. You have to buy the Hakone Free Pass AND the round trip on the Romancecar. Also as a tip, all seats are reserved, and you must take the trip on the scheduled time, or you will have to take whatever is left. I found the train full on both trips.

3/4. You can travel on the Hakone Tozan Railway, Cable Car, Hakone Ropeway, and the buses in theory without the Hakone Free Pass but you will get your money's worth over time, especially if you want to go to Gotemba due to distance.

If you just google Hakone Bus Map (not sure if I am allowed to post websites) the first hit is the Hakone Tozan bus map. It will give you the map for info.
by Tim L (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone 2015/1/29 10:16
the bus routes in english in the following link. its in page 2.

http://www.hakone-tozanbus.co.jp/english/pdf/intro.pdf

Gotemba is about 40mins from Togendai. If you are going to the outlet, personally, the shopping isnt THAT fantastic. best buy would be nike.
by weisemo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread