Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

When do I should go around Tokyo for Autumn? 2015/1/28 18:09
Hello all,

I'm planing to go around Tokyo in Japan in November, but I'm deciding about a period of time because I would like to see autumn leaves.

This is the route planner.

Narita Airport - Nikko - Kawagoe - nagano - kawaguchiko - hakone - Tokyo - Narita

Could someone please provide us a suggestion that which one from below I should go?

1. 30 Oct - 9 Nov, 2015
2. 6 Nov - 16 Nov, 2015
3. 13 Nov - 23 Nov, 2015

Thank you very much for providing information and your reply :)
by SnowPrinceZ (guest)  

Re: When do I should go around Tokyo for Autumn? 2015/1/29 00:30
Narita Airport - Nikko - Kawagoe - nagano - kawaguchiko - hakone - Tokyo - Narita

Could someone please provide us a suggestion that which one from below I should go?

1. 30 Oct - 9 Nov, 2015
2. 6 Nov - 16 Nov, 2015
3. 13 Nov - 23 Nov, 2015

I was just in Japan back in Nov 18-28, 2014. Here is what I saw:

Tokyo: Almost peaking but still lots of colors

Kyoto: Perfect timing, lots of colors especially the reds

Kawaguchiko: Near the lake and where the Autumn Festival is starting to go brown but still had some reds, yellows, and oranges.
On 5th station, it was very brown but there was snow on top of Fujisan. Makes it a nice photo.

The train ride in the morning from Shinjuku to Otsuki was awesome colors on the hills/mountain.

So since most of your itinerary is going to higher altitude locations (which means they will get the Autumn colors faster) based on last year, I would choose 6 Nov - 16 Nov, 2015 for you. However just keep in mind it is hard to tell if it is on time or not. Last year started two weeks early but then slow down just before we got there. Depends on temperature.

In case you want to check out the Autumn festival http://www.fujisan.ne.jp/event/info_e.php?if_id=680&ca_id=3&page&sum_c...

Also recommend to get your international driving permit and rent a car in Kawaguchiko. Get to Kawaguchiko early and you can do a lot.
What we did:
-5th Station
-Maple Tree Road Tunnel
-Full circle of Lake Kawaguchiko
-Drive to Lake Yamanakako for Diamond Fuji(about 3pm)
-Arakurasengen (Climb the 376 stairs almost like climbing 3776m of Fujisan and then get nice view of Fuji)
-Autumn Festival

Also recommend to have Kawaguchiko flexible if possible. Book rental car so that you can cancel without fees. Then also check local weather when your date gets closer.

We originally planning to go Kawguchiko on Nov 24 but as the date got closer we notice that it might be cloudy on Nov 24 and saw Nov 19 was Sunny. This is like 6days before we were going to fly. So we changed it to Nov 19 and it was best decision for sure. So sunny day at Kawaguchiko and it was Raining on Nov 24 in Tokyo.

Hope all this helps!

Have Fun!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: When do I should go around Tokyo for Autumn? 2015/1/29 01:39
If your focussed on Tokyo - then late November is your best bet.

However - I'll say that Tokyo has some nice locations but Kyoto is really the best place I have seen Koyo in Japan.

One example is here: http://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-1375

Some other places near Tokyo can be seen by scrolling down the bottom and looking at the "Koyo Reports" in mid to late November

Shosenkyo Gorge in Kofu is nice (instead ot Nagano??). http://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-1356
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: When do I should go around Tokyo for Autumn? 2015/1/29 20:54
Thank you very much for both of your reply.

It's so useful for me!!!! :)
by SnowPrinceZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: When do I should go around Tokyo for Autumn? 2015/2/1 06:15
I was in Japan in November 2013. Here is my report:
- Nov 13-14 in Nikko: no autumn leaves around lake Chuzenji or in the famous Irohazaka road. In Nikko colours were a little over their peak, but still very enjoyable in Shoyoen garden in Rinnoji temple an in Tamozawa Imperial Villa.
- Nov 15: no autumn colours in Togakushi (and actually we enjoyed the firs snowfall of the season).
- Nov 25-30 in Kyoto: most places we visited were just perfect, with lots of beautiful colours, we specially like Eikando.
- Dec 1-6 in Tokyo: we still saw some impressive colours in Kamakura and in Rikugien gardens in Tokyo, but also trees with almost no leaves left.
I agree with mfedley, autumn colours-wise, Kyoto was the best place in our trip. And the koyo season quite overlaps with Tokyo so you can easily cover both.
by Okazaky rate this post as useful

reply to this thread